Chapter 15: Breaking the Façade (Edited)

I was on my bed reading. I've re-read The Fault in Our Stars so many times, but I never get sick of it. Just as I was nearing the final pages of the book, a piece of paper dropped to my lap. Written in Chase's writing was a short message.

You might want to check the first page again

~ Chase

I flipped the pages of the book until my fingers landed on the very first page. Everything looked like it usually was – the title, name of the author, and a few dedications. But then, a writing on the bottom, right corner of the page that wasn't there before caught my attention. At the end of the message was a scribbled signature.

Dear Ms. Foster,

It has come to my attention that this book means a lot to you. Not just because of the story revealed between the pages, but because it is a memorable reminder of your beloved sister.

I am very grateful for your appreciation of my book. If you ever have the time, please feel free to write back to me. I will be more than delighted to read your letter and write back if needed.

Yours truly,

John Green

P. S. You might feel the need to thank your good friend, Mr. Hunter Chase.

To say that I was shocked was an understatement. I was way beyond that feeling that I not sure I can describe it properly. Bewildered, shocked, grateful, guilty, amazed. Is it even possible to feel all that at once?

He's making this too hard for me, and he doesn't even know it.

I couldn't possibly maintain my façade any longer. I closed the book and placed it on my bedside table. Ripping the comforters away from my legs, I grabbed my black sweater resting on the edge of my bed and quickly put it on. 

Chase's POV

Being rejected is probably the worst feeling in the world. It's probably the worst feeling for me thanks to my never disappearing, huge ego. Scratch that. The first time I ever felt rejected was when my parents decided to divorce. Throughout that entire process, they didn't even pause to consider me or my sister. Our existence, our relevance was rejected. 

I was lounging around with the guys down in my basement. We were talking about COD when I was still paying attention. Pretty soon, I'm not sure I was in the conversation any longer.

Dave finally caught on. "So, is Alex going to homecoming?" he asked.

Breaking my series of thoughts, I turned to glance at Dave. "Huh?"

Dylan and Dave looked at each other before they turned their gazes back to me, shaking their heads. "Do you actually know what we're talking about?" Dylan asked.

"Umm...we were comparing who's the best at COD, right?" I asked, fifty percent sure that I answered correctly.

Dave shook his head as Dylan cracked a smirked. "Actually, our topic about COD ended half an hour ago," Dave replied. "Which means, you have no idea what we've been talking about."

"Oh, sorry," I replied, rubbing the back of my neck. "I guess I kind of phased out."

"You guess?" Dave teased. "We've been stealing a few glances at you. You've clearly been thinking about something else."

"You mean someone else," Dylan added, wiggling his eyebrows.

Staring blankly in reply, I shook my head. "Look Dylan, I know you're in cloud nine right now with Hayley and all. Clearly it's been messing with your head," I replied. "I wasn't thinking of Lexi."