3- Remember The Dance

“Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye.”
 - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

“This is stupid.”

“I know.”

“This is really stupid.”

“I know.”

“You’re going to get yourself killed.”

“Maybe.”

“He could be a rapist.”

“Could be.”

“This is incredibly stupid!”

“I. Know.”

I’ve been having this debate with Aaron for the better part of half an hour while Hanna helped me get ready for today. He was taking me into town. Of course Aaron, being the overprotective best friend that he is, thinks that it’s a horrible idea being half an hour away from everybody that I know with some guy that I met just a few days ago. I know it sounded stupid and dangerous and just reckless, but I didn’t care. I wanted to spend time with Evan and I couldn’t think of anything better than to go into Ocala with him.

“Then explain to me why you’re doing this.” Aaron huffed.

I smiled at him as I put my hair in a fishtail braid down my back. “How can I explain something that I don’t understand myself?” I said quietly, but with a small smile on my face.

“She’s in love.” Hanna cooed, slapping Aaron on the arm. “Let her be.”

“It won’t be my fault when you don’t come back.” He mumbled, raising his hands in surrender.

“What will Brendon say about you going?” Hanna asked randomly.

I shrugged and slid my pink sneakers on my feet, checking the time. “Five more minutes, you two need to leave.”

“I’ll go because I don’t want to be here when Brendon blows up at you for agreeing to this, not because you told me to.” Aaron mumbled, giving us both effortless hugs before sauntering out my bedroom door. Soon, I heard his car outside fire up and zoom away from the house.

“I’m waiting until he picks you up. I need to see what this mystery boy looks like.” Hanna told me.

“You saw him at the fair.” I reasoned.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t count.” She told me, rolling her eyes. That’s Hanna’s Reasoning for you alright.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Fine, but no talking.”

She grinned and nodded. “Deal.” Before we left my room, I took one last look in the full length mirror on the back of my door.

I was wearing a tight floral tank top with simple blue jean shorts and a thick brown belt. My hair was still a little wet from my morning shower and wavy down my back. My pink sneakers tied into the pink flowers on the tank top and my makeup was light but noticeable.

“Okay, let’s go.” I breathed, leading Hanna out of my room and down the stairs. I wish I could say goodbye to Cody, but he had therapy today, so he wouldn’t be home for another few hours. Brendon and his best friend, Sam, however, were on the couch, cheering on some football team that was playing on the TV.

“We’re leaving.” I told Brendon as the knot in my stomach grew. Not from fear of being in a car with Evan, who is practically a stranger. But just the anticipation of seeing him again was driving me crazy with excitement. An amount of excitement and butterflies that I’d never felt before.

“Where are you going?” Brendon asked.

“Out.” I replied simply. I didn’t talk to my brother yesterday, and I was still pretty angry at him for what he said when I came home the other night. I am a relatively good kid, so he doesn’t need to yell at me just the one time I come home late.