19- Remember That Smile

Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.
-Nicholas Sparks, A Walk To Remember

“So what are you guys doing tonight?”

I sighed and tossed my feet onto my best friend’s coffee table. “If I knew, I’d tell you, but he’s keeping me in the dark.”

“How cute.” Hanna cooed.

I chuckled with an eye roll at her over exaggeration of today, the 16th, as in my one month anniversary with Evan. Since our camping trip a few nights ago, I’d spent almost all of my time by his side, so I insisted that I spend the day with Hanna, on her couch with the first four seasons of Supernatural and junk food… a lot of junk food. Evan and I had agreed earlier that he would pick me up at six tonight at my house for whatever he had in store for me tonight, which was bringing nervous butterflies into my stomach for some reason.

“What do you think he’s going to do?” Hanna asked with a grin.

I shrugged. “Either something completely random or something completely predictable. That’s how he is.”

“I think he’ll take you to the beach.”

“The beach?” I asked incredulously. “That’s two hours away, Han.”

“Okay, then Disney Land?”

“Still hours away.” I sighed, trying my best to pay attention to the TV screen.

“Well, then you’ll just have to tell me when you get back tomorrow.” She told me with a smile.

“Tomorrow?” I asked with my brows furrowed. “Why not tonight when I get home?”

She scoffed and stuffed her face with a handful of chips, getting crumbs all over her pink sweats and black tank. “Please, don’t even pretend like you’re coming home tonight.”

“Why wouldn’t I?” I played dumb with a blush on my cheeks.

Hanna rolled her pretty blue eyes at me. “Shut up.”

“Hey, what happened with Jake? You haven’t talked about him for a while.” I mentioned as the thought occurred to me. After the bonfire on the Fourth, I haven’t been getting to many updates on the Jake situation.

She shrugged with a small frown on her face. “It didn’t work out, I guess.”

“Why not?” I asked in a concern. “I thought you really liked him.”

“I did.” She sighed with a shrug. “I dunno, I guess he turned out to be a jerk.”

“Sorry.” I told her truthfully.

Hanna shrugged again and stayed silent, so we watched the rest of the episode, giving it our full attention while we ate our heavenly junk food.

I said my goodbyes to Hanna at four, right after her dad got home from work. I liked Hanna’s dad, he was pretty nice and he was friends with my dad, despite them both working long hours at their jobs.

I used the next two hours to get dressed in the pre-planned outfit. It was only a simple pair of jean shorts and a pretty floral blouse since Evan insisted on casual dress, which had driven my friends crazy since they craved the fancy dresses and forcing me into a pair of sky scraping heals.

I straightened my hair and put on a dab of makeup, getting even more nervous and excited at the same time with each passing second that went by. Once my last hair was brushed and I slipped my sneakers onto my feet, I looked at the time, I still had fifteen minutes left, so I headed downstairs where Brendon was sitting on the couch with a girl under his arm.