13- Remember Your Friends

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.
-William Shakespeare

Evan Mathews.

So many things come to mind when I think of those two simple words.

Evan Mathews is my perfect boyfriend.

Evan Mathews said that he loves me.

I love Evan Mathews.

Evan Mathews has glorious green eyes.

Evan Mathews was driving me home from the magic field when my phone rang of Hanna’s ring tone.

“I don’t have to answer it.” I breathed, pulling the phone out of my pocket and planning to hit the “ignore” button.

“It’s fine.” Evan assured me with his thumb rubbing small circles over the back of my hand on the center console. “Really, I don’t mind. I don’t want to keep you from your friends- especially not Hanna because she scares me a little.”

I chuckled and rolled my eyes teasingly before answering the call. “Hello?”

“Where are you?!” She shrieked. “I’ve been calling you for the past half an hour.”

“Oh, sorry.” I mumbled lightheartedly. “I left my phone in the truck and we were out.”

“Where’d you go?” She asked curiously and I could tell that her fuse was put out. Lucky for me, that was way too easy.

“I dunno. Some field.” I told her.

“Oh my gosh!” She squeaked. “You’re so giddy!”

“Am I?” I giggled

“Maggie Harris, you just giggled. You are so, so giddy! What happened?”

“I can’t say.” I told her with a small smile. “But we’re on our way back now.”

“So you’ll fill me in when you get here.” Hanna declared.

“Of course.” I chimed. “Wait- are you at my house?”

She snickered on the other end. “Darling, I’m always at your house.”

“Is Brendon there?”

“Oh, sure. He’s downstairs. I think Sam’s here, too.”

“Okay, I’ll see you soon, love you. Bye.” I hung up quickly before she could say anything else and shoved my phone back into my pocket.

“Have you ever been camping?” Evan asked randomly.

I gave him a you’re-so-weird-but-I-love-you-anyway kind of look as I responded to his completely unexpected question. “Um, no. I haven’t. Why?”

“I have. Not too many times, but I’ve been a couple of times. We should go.”

“Camping?” I asked incredulously. “I have no idea how to camp.”

“That’s why it should be so much fun.” He grinned with excitement. Adorable, pure excitement. “I can pitch a tent… kinda.”

“Okay, sure.” I found myself agreeing to his random proposal without really understanding what I was agreeing to. But that damn smile- so innocent and care-free, I couldn’t say no to that smile. Especially after the events that had just happened in the field only three hours ago.

His grin widened. “Good. We can have marshmallows too. I like the huge ones, the mini ones are kinda pointless.”

I let out a soft giggle. “Why the sudden urge to go camping, though?”