6- Remember Our Second Date

My heart's against your chest, your lips pressed to my neck
I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet
And with this feeling I'll forget, I'm in love now.
-
Ed Sheeran, Kiss Me

I don’t know how long that kiss lasted, but it felt like years before one of us pulled away. My breath was heavy as my heart fluttered heavily in my chest and I waited for him to speak because I was slightly positive that I couldn’t.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that.” He whispered. He was still extremely close to me and his breath fanned across my lips when he spoke.

“I don’t know what took you so long.” I whispered back, looking into his green eyes that only held happiness.

He chuckled, removing his hand from my hair and resting it on my waist, sending my stomach into a frenzy at his touch. “So how about a second date, then?”

“Second?” I repeated in confusion.

He nodded in mock offense. “I can’t believe you forgot our first date at the diner.”

My face lit up in recognition when I remembered that the night we met, Evan called our dinner our first date. “Yeah, that was our first date, wasn’t it?”

“Clearly it meant more to me than you.” He joked.

I smiled and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, yeah. But first we should probably get out of here.” I said, noticing that we still hadn’t left the movie theater parking lot and were just sitting in his truck like weirdoes.

He released his grip on my waist and sat back, creating a disappointing gap between us as I pulled the blanket closer to me to create a fraction of the warmth that Evan took away when he pulled away from me. “I guess that’s a good idea.” He agreed, putting the truck in drive and heading out of the parking lot. “Are you still hungry?”

“A little bit.” I admitted sheepishly. “I’m just going to find something at home to eat.”

“Oh, you’re not going home.” He told me with an excited grin on his face. “Didn’t you hear me? We’re going on our second date.”

My jaw dropped in shock. “You meant right now? I’m soaking wet and not dressed for a date. Where would we go this late anyway?” I asked, realizing that it was already ten at night and the sky was pitch black.

He smirked at me. “So you would go on a date covered in mud, but when you’re covered in rain water, it’s a crime? And I don’t know where we’re going, I’ll let you choose.”

“But-“

“The best adventures are the ones you don’t expect.” He told me with a smirk.

“Well, thank you Dr. Phil.”

He grinned at me as he drove towards a McDonald’s down the street. “So is that a yes?”

I sighed and realized that I wouldn’t win- I didn’t even want to win. Going on another date with Evan sounded amazing no matter the time or even what I looked like because the way he looked at me told me that he didn’t care. He did hang out with me when I was covered in mud, so I doubt being drenched would be a problem. “It’s a yes, I just have to tell Brendon.”

His grin widened. “Good. Is McDonald’s good for you? I know it’s the language of love.” He said sarcastically.

I giggled and nodded, pulling out my phone. “McDonald’s is great.” I texted Brendon that I was with Hanna and I texted Hanna, telling her to cover for me. She replied in all caps and ten exclamation points telling me to use protection.