Chapter Twenty-Six - Libby

The light is shining through my bedroom's window, rays splitting from the crossed panels in the glass, and I can't help but wonder what is happening at home right now.

Glancing at the digital clock flashing beside me on the end table, I count an hour backwards because of the time difference and realize it would be seven in the morning there. On a weekday, Mom would be frying eggs for Dad before he takes off for work, and brews coffee despite him always only taking a sip and then hitting the corner cafe afterwards.

Dad would be reading the paper that was formerly tossed into our front yard, his posture relaxed as if he didn't have a care in the world for what the day held for him - that whatever did come was manageable.

And, right then, it hits me.

"Oh, God."

Clutching my stomach, I slide out from under the warm protection of the blankets and reveal myself into the cold, air-conditioned house that once gave me relief, but instead gives me goosebumps the size of mountains and a stomach that's flopping over. "Oh God."

My feet clap on the wooden floors as I jog towards the bathroom the next room over, automatically kneeling over the toilet and retching whatever crap was in my stomach. Not too long after, I hear the patting of feet behind me and then the rushing once they discover me dying by the toilet.

"Oh, shit, Libby what's wrong?" Liam asks, and I don't even try to look at him - my face is too hot from embarrassment, although the rest of my body is shuddering with unreasonable chills.

"I dunno," I reply, but just as soon I hunch over the toilet and breathe heavily. When I think I'm clear, he's beside me on the tiled floor, leaning against the tub and rubbing my back in comfort. "But it sucks."

I can hear the solemn tone in his voice as he tries to lighten the mood. "Y'know I'd be holding your hair back right now if only it were long enough."

I grin, and I shake my head incredulously. "How can you possib-"

I retch.

His hand is once again on my back, and I feel hot tears slide down my face at the miserable state I'm in. This is so embarrassing. Tearing off some toilet paper, I roll it into a ball and blot the mess that's spread across my face. I toss the paper into the toilet along with the rest of the grossness within it, gently folding the seat down and flushing the mess.

"You okay?"

I can't bear to meet his gaze, so I only nod, clutch my legs close to my chest, and sigh. This is not how I want to spend my day. I hear motion beside me and all of a sudden I'm engulfed in heat, Liam crushing his body to mine. I melt in his touch and I lie my head on his chest, the tears seeping out again.

"Why are you crying?" he murmurs, looking down at me with concern as he wipes away one of the dribbles with his finger.

I try not to punch myself as I reply, "It's a bad habit when I hurl."

His body shakes as a small chuckle escapes him. "Tears make the hurling worse, y'know."

I roll my eyes. "I never would've guessed."

I can feel him smiling as he kisses the top of my head gingerly, as if scared he'll set off another chain of puking. I shudder at the thought.

"Cold?" he asks, rubbing his hand up and down my arm in an attempt to produce a bit of heat. "I can get you a blanket?"

I smile weakly and nod against his chest. I am a bit cold. "Yeah, if you don't mind."

He laughs one of those one-syllable laughs and pecks the top of my head once more, before standing up and wandering over to Jere's room. I sigh and decide that it's a better time than any to try and stand up and make it downstairs. I need to prepare coffee. Coffee will solve everything.