Chapter Fourteen - Libby

Chapter Fourteen.

I love the smell of New York in the morning.

I can't exactly point out what's so different about it rather than mornings in Texas, but it just seems fresher and... cleaner. Blinking my eyes open, I find the rutted ceiling and I smile. New York. I've been dreaming this since... always. The thought of escaping home and never coming back used to always make my heart race, and now that I'm actually here, fourteen hundred miles away from my city, my lips are permanently curled upward.

The warmth my bed offers is inviting, but the coffee machine that sits on top of the mini-fridge beside me is even more enticing. I flip the bed-sheets and comforter off my body and swing my legs to the side of the bed, opening the fridge and searching inside for coffee beans. It's the only thing in there. I take the full bag out and prepare the coffee, using the bathroom sink to my advantage.

This coffee machine is dinkier than the one I have at home and ten times less complex, but I seem to find everything at ease. By the time I hit the button for it to start brewing it's seven thirty and the sun is peeking behind the tall buildings outside.

I scan the details of the room and decide that it's not as bad as I had thought last night, the sun's magnified rays doing the walls and carpet justice.

 I walk to my bed and snuggle back under to covers, grabbing my book from the floor to pass the time. But after reading the same paragraph numerous times and not even understanding the words, I give out an agitated umph and set it aside, suddenly remembering that I had my very own adventure last night.

The kiss....

A smile tugs at my lips, remembering the taste of coffee on his lips, and the raspiness of his voice when he introduced himself. He was charming. Special even. Remembering our pre-arrangement of our meeting at the coffee shop, I once again crawl off of my bed and over to my pile of unpacked suitcases, searching for the ones with my much nicer clothing - clothing to impress other and myself.

Finding a white flannel and a nice pair of skinny jeans and a black fedora, I find myself doing a little happy dance on the spot before I stop myself for being ridiculous. It's not even a date! I remind myself. It's just... a meet-up. A hang out... A play date.

Glancing at my clock, I see that I still have several hours to prepare. Great. Several hours of agony, it's going to be. Catching the sight of my camera bag from the corner of my eye, my body slouches in disappoinment when I remember how I've already broken one of the things on Liv's list. Take a picture of every one of these things. I did not get a picture of Liam... I was, uh, too busy I guess.

"That's not an excuse," I mutter to myself, brushing my hair back in exasperation. I need to get my priorities straight. And how am I suppose to tell Mom about my new friend? Wasn't that the one condition? No boys?

Ugh.

Settling on just taking a picture of him at the Cornelia's to make up for it, I stand up from my spot on the floor and search for a mug in the room, finally finding one on the bathroom counter. Filling it to the brim with coffee, I walk to my bed and set the mug on a coaster on the bedside table, reaching for my laptop that lies on the floor adjacent to it and powering it up.

The first thing I see when I log onto it is an email from Mom. Oh God, I think as I click it open.

Hi Sweetie!

Just seeing how you are and if you're still alive, y'know. Didn't receive a call when you landed so that's honestly the big question here. And if you are alive, then what adventures have you been on so far? Anything exciting? I'm sure you have, knowing you. I know you would've wanted to jump onto the project pronto.