Chapter Forty-Five - Liam

Her hair is longer.

That was the first thing I noticed when I realized it was her that Jere was talking to. I saw the back of her head and the way her beautiful white dress she was wearing swayed in the wind. I saw how her hair went to barely above her shoulders, and how her ears are now pierced. I saw everything.

And now?

Now I see the nervous way she bites her lip as she stares down at the guitar caressed in her arms. The way the strings on the guitar are worn and ready to pop, but she's as oblivious as can be about this fact. How when she messes up from time to time, she gives a short sigh in embarrassment and I try to suppress a smile. The entire time I'm trying to suppress a smile.

She learned.

And all for him.

Her movements are practiced as she picks at the chords, as if she's been practicing this entire time away from us. I sigh and my breath forms a ghost in front of me. It's cold as can be, but the sun is shining and Libby is playing and Debby is smiling and I can't help but think that it's all for Bentley.

The last chords are plucked and the entire audience claps. I look around, taking my eyes off of Libby for once, and realize that no one is shivering as much anymore, nor complaining about the cold.

I turn back around and she's already back in her seat, but this time sitting next to Debby as Jere must've insisted sitting in Libby's lap. We are only apart by one person and Debby gives me a knowing sideways glance. I want to stick my tongue out at her childishly, embarrassed that she's caught me staring, but Jimmy saves the day when he asks, "Liam, it's your turn. Would you like to give a word?"

My heart is pounding and I've nearly convinced myself to say "no" when I realize that I do need to say one final goodbye. It feels like an eternity when I finally stand up and make my way up to the podium. I stand behind it, trying to avoid stepping on Libby's guitarcase and from staring at the word "graham" carved into it.

When I look up at the crowd that stares back at me, I'm blinded by the sun. I squint and glance back down at the podium and see the stack of pictures Debby must've brought with her. I pick them up with a shaking hand, ignoring the small murmurs that sounded here and there around the audience.

I stop at one that I can't seem to skip past. I'm caught breathless as Jimmy pats my shoulder, but I nod in acknowledgement and begin.

"Everyone leaves."

My voice is stronger than I thought it would be, as I'm not really sure what I'm talking about. I feel myself watching me from the audience, wondering what this man is going to say.

"Some way... somehow." I swallow the rock that's formed in my throat and suddenly I don't know if I can continue. I stare at the picture in my tight hold and notice how I'm creasing it. I don't loosen my grip. "Two people very important to me left when I was little without an explanation. I didn't really know what to do, as I was only fourteen and still a freshman in high school. But... then I met a man one day."

The photo in my hands comes to life.

"Gray, chalky eyes... wrinkles for days - even back then." This brings a few scattered chuckles and I try to make this make me feel better. "I was on my way to Juke Box Hero's to meet my son's babysitter (Debby) to pick him up when I literally run into this old man with a Smith's t-shirt on." A small smile pulls at my lips at the memory. "He asked me if I knew where I was going - if I was even a part of that side of town - and I responded with a small 'yes, sir.'