Sixth chapter

"What about Jisu-unnie? Is she around?" Ryujin asked, looking out the window.

It took a few seconds for the answer to come.

"No," Yeji said. "She went to the store. She should be back in about ten minutes."

"Too bad," Ryujin said. "I haven't talked to her in days. She might as well call me, though. Is she avoiding me or what?"

The phone returned a chuckle.

"No, I don't think so. Or maybe she is? You're such a pain sometimes," Yeji teased.

Ryujin laughed unfunnily.

"Fool," she said.

"Fool? What a mild insult, coming from you."

"I have a better one, but I don't want you to irritate my ear with your nagging."

"Good girl. Did you mention you went out with Yuna a few days ago?"

Ryujin smiled.

"That's right. We visited a couple of places. We had a good time."

"How nice. You could ask me out sometime. Or Jisu, or Chaeryeong. You're neglecting us," Yeji sighed heavily.

"I reserve that kind of attention for Yuna," Ryujin said, amused.

"You're bad, you're bad."

"You said I was a good girl just now."

"God! I can't stand you. Anyway, you know I don't like to get into your business, but I have to ask... Didn't you two overdo it? In public, I mean."

Ryujin's mind wandered back to the parking lot of the Ansan Starlight. Yuna on her lap, kissing her fiercely, stroking her hair, and then her, Ryujin, kissing her neck.

"No, not at all," she replied.

"Actually, I held back" Ryujin thought as the Seoullo scene came to her mind. The hurt look on Yuna's face when she pulled her hand away roughly was not lost on Ryujin.

"Nice. As long as you two continue like this, there is nothing to worry about."

Ryujin rolled her eyes, aware that Yeji couldn't see her.

The conversation took a more trivial turn, which Ryujin was silently grateful for. Thinking about Yuna and her sometimes gave her an uneasy feeling.

---

Christmas and New Year passed normally. As normally as was possible with a worldwide pandemic, at least. At Ryujin's house only she and her parents were there, missing her grandparents and aunts and uncles, as was the custom in previous years.

Having finished the morning meal (which consisted of rice, kimchi, boiled vegetables and soup, the latter perfect for the cold January days), Ryujin found herself wondering what to do.

She settled on watching some new series. She wouldn't watch it in the living room, as she often did, but in her room.

Ryujin lay down on her bed, using her legs as a prop for the laptop. As it turned on, she checked her cell phone. There were messages from the ITZY chat group.

Yeji: "Guurrlsss, can we meet today in the afternoon?"

Chaeryeong: "Huh? What for?"

Yeji: "I have news"

Yeji: "And I miss you guys too "

Ryujin: "Mmm, okay"

Chaeryeong: "I can in the afternoon."