Satan, the Stubborn

In a panic, you race around one corner, then another, to reach the House of Lamentation's library as quickly as possible. Your paws make no sound as you run towards him.

You meow at him to get the his attention. Satan lifts his jade eyes from his book, as the corners of his mouth rise into smile you've adored for so long.

He can't understand you, despite your desperate cries to be changed back into a human. "Aw, you're a cute one, aren't you? A little noisy, though." Satan pats your head lightly as he turns his attention back to his book. You paw at his leg.

"You want upsies? Okay then." He lifts you up onto his lap. "Now behave yourself, alright? I need to finish the rest of this book, so I can read the next one in the series."

As always, you find it fascinating how focused Satan is on his books. However, now is not the time to admire his passions. You meow again, now nudging his face with a fluffy paw. He puts the book down and sighs.

"Perhaps this is the real reason they say black cats are bad luck." He looks at you with a slight annoyance, but with much adoration. After all, you are a cat now. "Wait a second..."

Is this it? Does he finally recognize you? Your tail waves in anticipation.

"Here, I have some treats left over from the cafe Solomon and I went to earlier."

You turn away from the treats with irritation. Satan's smile flips into a frown.

"Hey. No cat rejects these treats. I promise they're good; sometimes I eat them when Lucifer locks the kitchen."

He looks hurt, so you decide to eat just one, though reluctantly. Admittedly, it did taste good. Satan breathes a sigh of relief and rubs your ear. It tickles.

You look up at him and make direct eye contact. After almost a minute of a staring contest, Satan blinks. Patting your head, he murmurs, "Oh, you're not a cat, are you?"

Shaking your head, you jump off his lap and run to your room. He follows silently, while you hope you don't run into any of the other brothers. Satan closes the door behind him, already throwing questions at you, one after another.

"What happened? Who did this to you? Was it Lucifer?" He pauses for a moment, with a serious look in his eyes. "Right. You can't talk. I'll stick to yes or no questions."

You sit on the bed, while Satan pulls the chair from your desk, then sits in it backwards. "Did you happen to find a book earlier mentioning Cat Transfiguration on the cover?"

No, that wasn't it. Actually, you had been learning new magic with Solomon earlier. You were hungry, and ate one of his snacks, not realizing he was the one who made the snacks. Solomon is a great sorcerer, but a terrible cook. He thought it was funny when you turned into a cat, until he realized he didn't know how to turn you back into a human.

Before Satan could ask another question, you hear quick footsteps down the hallway, a pause, then a knock on the door. "I'm so, so sorry! May I come in?"

You nod as Satan gets up to open the door, almost tripping over the chair. "Solomon? Why are you here?"

"Why are you here? This isn't even your room. Anyway, you didn't happen to see a black cat around here, by any chance, did you?" He tries to look behind Satan as his view is blocked by the blue and silver jacket.

"No, I didn't," Satan says assertively, "is there one?" You hop to the ground and meow loudly. Satan doesn't realize that Solomon already knows. "I thought you were going to hide."

Solomon kneels down to your height, which annoys you, because you can hear him clearly from his normal height, but you can't express this annoyance. "Look, I'm really sorry. I'll find a way to fix this, I promise."

"You did this?" A hint of anger boils in Satan's voice.

"I made a... it... it was an accident," Solomon muttered as you glare daggers at him from behind Satan's leg. "I messed up."

"Undo it!"

"I don't know what I did!"

"Solomon!!!"

"You have to admit, this is a cute cat." Another eye staring contest ensues, this time between Satan and Solomon. Solomon looks away. "Maybe... Lucifer can help."

"You want to ask... Lucifer..?"

There was only one thing more insulting to the Avatar of Wrath than being compared to his older brother, and that was asking his older brother for help. Fearing for Solomon's life, you frantically shake your head, in hopes that he would realize his mistake and avoid the subject of Lucifer.

"No. No! Of course not. I meant... um... Simeon. Yeah, Simeon can probably do... something..."

"Perhaps." Satan scoops you into his arms. "Sorry, but I'll be carrying you the whole way, unless you'd rather walk with your little paws there." He pokes your paws and smiles.

Solomon explains everything on the way. The three of you arrive at the Hall of Purgatory. Solomon calls. "Simeon? Hey, Simeon! Are you here?"

A small voice pipes up. "Solomon, you're back! I baked some cherry tarts earlier, would you like some?"

"Oh, I'd like one," Satan requests, still holding you. "Thanks, Luke." You swat a paw at the cherry tart. He refuses to share. "Cherries aren't good for cats, you can't have it."

A pity. Luke's pastries smell great. Snuggling into Satan's jacket will have to do.

"Luke, have you seen Simeon?"

"Oh, yeah, you're looking for him, right? He went to the Celestial realm for a few days. What do you need him for?"

"We were hoping he could break a curse."

"Isn't that Lucifer's specialty?" The little angel tilts his head.

"Well, yes, but..." Solomon couldn't finish his sentence while Satan glared at him like that.

Luke runs over to Satan, jumping with excitement. "What's with the cat? Can I pet it?"

"Hm? Sure, go ahead." He turns to Solomon. "Well, I guess we'll have to find a cure ourselves."

"Why? Because you're too stubborn to go to Lucifer? You know this problem could go away, just like that," he snaps his fingers, "but you'd rather make things difficult."

"This is your fault to begin with. If you don't want to help, I can fix it myself, then!" Satan holds you tighter to his chest, and you can hear his hearbeat quicken.

"I hope no one minds that someone so precious to them is missing."

Luke, not understanding any of this, despite paying close attention, decides to head to sleep. You wave goodbye with a little paw.