The Cat's Out of the Cape

Despite your flailing, Barbatos carries you calmly, not wavering in the slightest. "Don't worry, the cat garden is nice. There's other cats to play with, and you'll be well attended to."

Already off the campus, you hear the bell ring. It's the end of the day.

"Lord Diavolo will forgive me for missing this one meeting to take care of you, I'm sure."

Meanwhile, the student council is in session. Belphie naps on Beel's shoulder, as Beel chews a piece of beef jerky. Levi is playing a dating sim on his phone, while Asmo comments on how hot the characters are. Mammon is trying to figure out how to button his blazer properly. Satan sits still, contemplating every worst case scenario that could have happened to his precious Cape.

"Barbatos isn't here?" Lucifer says with surprise. "I suppose that means he didn't find it..."

"He must be doing something important right now."

"Find what, Luci?" Asmo rests his head on his hands. "Wait, were you looking for this ring? I found it in your office this morning!"

Asmo takes the red ring off and hands it to Lucifer, who removes his gloves to put the ring on his pinky finger. "Asmo. While I'm glad you've returned it, never take this again."

"Why not? Ooh! Is it an engagement ring?" He jumps up excitedly.

Mammon shouts. "Lucifer's gettin' married?! Why didn't ya tell me?"

"No, I'm not. It was just a gift. Continuing the meeting, now. This emergency meeting was called for one reason only." Lucifer slams his hands on the table, demanding everyone's attention. "Have any of you seen a black cat anywhere?"

Varying responses of denial echo through the room. No one has seen a black cat, or any cat, and if they had, they would have definitely notified Lucifer. At least, that's what the brothers say.

"I see. It must have been my imagination." He turns his focus to Satan.

"It wasn't me."

"Oh? Did something happen?"

"No, nothing at all happened. It was another boring day. I should have stayed in the library."

"The last four books you checked out of the R.A.D. library were How to Break Curses for Dummies, Best Ways to Hide a Cat in School, Transfiguration and Morphology Magic Fundamentals, and How to Annoy a Powerful Demon Without Getting Killed." Lucifer sighs. "You already know all this though, so you must have been desperate. Care to explain how the first three are connected?"

"Uhm. No..?" He fidgets with his hands.

"Satan. Why is our human exchange student missing?"

Satan freezes as the other brothers try to piece it together. "Probably... still at home."

"I stayed behind to search the house this morning. I think I'd be able to find an entire person." He crosses his arms confidently.

The younger brother raises his voice. "Why would I know?! Solomon did it, not me!"

Lucifer smirks. Satan can no longer feign ignorance. "This ring here," Lucifer starts, holding up his hand, "was enchanted to notify me if anything happened to the human under our care. Seeing as it's red now, rather than silver, one can only assume that someone here has failed their job."

Satan stood up and pointed to the demon at his right. "I thought being guardian was Mammon's job."

"Hey! Don't start pointin' the blame at me, or I'm not gonna keep quiet ahout the cat I saw in your room this morning!"

"Mammon, please remove your feet from the table." Lucifer smiles. "And what is this, you did see a cat after all?"

"Mammon!!!"

"It was the cutest cat, with such fluffy cheeks, too!" Asmo says cheerfully.

"Asmo!!!!"

"Is that why the dining table smelled like cat when Satan got to breakfast this morning?" Beel wonders aloud, then he seems shocked. "Wait, is that why you were feeding your cape? So you weren't storing food?!"

Belphie joins in. "The black cat Satan let me use as a pillow?"

Levi gasps. "You mean the cat that jumped out of Satan's cape earlier during class?"

Asmo holds his hands to his chest. "You mean I wasn't the only one who knew? I thought you said it was our secret, Satan!"

"I believe earlier in this meeting, all of you said you hadn't seen a cat." Lucifer states sharply. Diavolo crunches some hellfire mushroom rolled cigar cookies, though no one knows when he first started eating them, or where he even got them. All the brothers freeze in fear of their oldest brother.

"Lu...Lucifer! I can explain!" Satan pleads, starting to retell the entire story, all the way back to the cat cafe he and Solomon went to the day before.

"How irresponsible of both you and Solomon," Lucifer sneers as Satan finishes the story, grimacing. "Why didn't you just come to me first?"

"Well..."

"Nevermind. Let's hurry home, perhaps our cat has gone back already. Meeting dismissed." Lucifer turns to leave.

Belphie sighs. "We needed a meeting for this?"