Hiding

You can smell the food. Suddenly you realize that you haven't eaten anything besides Satan's cat treats.

"Don't worry, I didn't forget," he whispers, handing you a strip of shadow hog bacon.

"Satan," Beel starts, still chewing his food, "are you saving snacks for class?"

"No, I... Yes, I'm... I'm storing food for later."

"I smell a cat," Beel states bluntly, staring at Satan's red cape.

"Oh. I went to a cat cafe with Solomon yesterday, so... that must be the reason." Satan gets up to leave, and pauses. "Wait, why are you the last one here?"

"It's shadow hog bacon, I had to get more," the Avatar of Gluttony says, stuffing his mouth with another handful.

"Satan," a stern voice calls from the doorway of another room, "is there something you're hiding?"

"Lucifer! No, not at all." Satan gulps as his stance stiffens. "Why do you ask?"

Lucifer's eyes dart quickly from Satan's face, to the cape you're hiding in, back to Satan's face - as if he already knows. He sighs. "Nevermind, have a nice day, you two."

"Thanks, Lucifer," mumbles Beel through his food, getting up from the table. "Satan, let's go."

"Yeah..."

Beel shuts the door behind him, as Satan starts walking farther ahead. "Wait, you're just gonna leave me?"

Satan walks faster, perhaps fearing that Beelzebub will eat you.

Making it through the door just as the bell rings, Satan takes a deep breath. "You're lucky most of our classes are the same. I hope nothing too interesting hap-"

"Satan! You're here!"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You're later than usual, so I thought you weren't coming. I guess you couldn't risk missing out on quality time with your favorite brother, huh?" Asmodeus grins confidently. As far as you know, he's always been like this.

Satan sighs. "How does doing classwork qualify as 'quality time' to you?"

"Before I forget, should I mention the odd bulge in your cape? Is it a cat? I won't tell Lucifer if it is."

"No, it's food for Beel."

"It's a cat, isn't it?" Asmo quickly grabs you from within the cape and rubs both sides of your face, irritating your whiskers. "So soft, how adorable!"

"Asmo," Satan hisses, warning his brother not to do it again as you sneeze.

"Okay! I'll keep this our little secret."

"So long as it stays that way."

The professor notes that you are absent, then drones on and on until the bell rings, dismissing the Asmo and Satan from class.

"Sooo..? Are you keeping the cat around all day?" Asmo inquires, tilting his entire body noticeably closer to Satan's cape.

"Yes, this cat and have the same classes to attend, so you should run off to your own class, now."

"The cat's attending classes? That's so cute!"

"Lower your voice or someone might hear."

"Oh, right!" Asmo begins to walk away. "Satan, wait! We have a council meeting later, don't miss it! See ya later!"

"Got it, I'll be there." Satan lowers his voice to speak to you. "Hah. I guess it'll be a long day. Hope we don't get caught."

His smile is warm and comforting, until you hear a familiar battle cry down the hall, then a loud thud.

"What the-!" A scream. It's the one you usually hear when you're watching horror movies next to Mammon.

"Mammooooooooooooon!"

"Don't show up to school just to tackle me outta nowhere like that!"

"I want my money back!!!" Leviathan demands, still in his pajamas. He usually does all his classwork at home, to avoid talking to people.

"Oh, great. Let's just go around," Satan decides. As he turns the corner, you hear running footsteps and another war cry.

"FOR RURIIIII!!!"

Satan chuckles softly, though his face remains serious. It's the kind of thing that wouldn't be noticed if you weren't under his cape, so close to his heart.

The day drags on, with not much for you to do. You end up falling asleep in one of the classes as Satan continues to carry you everywhere. He sets you down on a bench outside, then pats your head and walks away.