Cape Problems

You wake up. Satan is gone. There's no one else around either. You call out with a soft meow, then meow again when there's no response.

Your ear twitches, as you hear footsteps around the corner. Recognizing the gait, but not enough to confirm if it was from Satan or someone else who already knew, you decide to dart into a nearby bush.

"I'm baaaack. Hope you weren't waiting too long. I brought us some..." Satan pauses, looking around. "Are you still here?"

You poke your head out of the bush and leap into his arms.

"I thought you were gone, you made me worried that Lucifer or one of the others had found you."

He rubs your head as you look down apologetically.

"It's my fault for leaving, I'm sorry. I brought us food, though." He opens a book and starts reading. "It's nice out here, just you and me. I don't get you to myself that often." Satan pauses, as if not realizing what he just said. "Uh... eat as much as you like."

You enjoy a nice, warm meal, while watching Satan's facial expressions change slightly with every other page. He should eat, too. Pawing at him, you point at the food he brought.

"Fine, fine, I'll eat. Just as soon as I finish this page." Yet, he finishes the page, and turns another, and another...

You jab him with a paw, meowing, demanding that he eat lunch.

"Okay, fine." He eats all the food that you left. "We should start heading to our next class."

You nod and hop back into his soft cape. An unexpected thought crosses your mind. Maybe it's not so bad to stay like this forever, as a cat, under the protective care of Satan.

No, you'd rather be human again. As a cat, you can't speak. You can't tell anyone you love them. You can't go to places like rollercoasters or restaurants together. You can't hug them tightly, or play silly games with them, or do anything that a being with hands could do, but one with paws and fur cannot. You want to be human.

You bounce with every step of the staircase Satan climbs. You both share the next class with-

"The Great Mammon's here to help ya ace the pop quiz!" He paused, his sapphire blue eyes blinking a few times. "Wait a sec, where's-?!"

"Absent."

"That's weird. I get skippin' breakfast, but skippin' class now? And why's your cape look weird?" Mammon asks aloud. He growls. "Don't tell me you brought that cat to school!"

"Keep quiet. Or else I'll have to tell Lucifer what you did."

"Don't ya know cats don't belong in schools? They belong somewhere safe and warm, like a windowsill, or on the seat of a car. Or just leave it in your bed!"

"School isn't safe? Perhaps the student coucil should fix that. Oh, by the way, if you haven't already heard, we have a meeting later."

"Well, that's just great. And no, school ain't safe at all! I was attacked earlier, look at my uniform!" He points at his clothes. His shirt is untucked, his tie is very loose, and the blazer is unbuttoned in a messy manner.

"Isn't that what it always looks like?" Satan says with disdain. "You realize your hair is also a mess, right?"

"Look, it was the best I could do! If Lucifer hadn't stepped in, I woulda been home by now!" Mammon shrugs, shaking his head.

Satan and Mammon finish their quiz quickly, though Mammon completes his paper much sooner than Satan. You use this opportunity to look at the answers, so you can get a good score when you make the test up, whenever you turn back into a human.

The teacher has no other plans, and dismisses everyone early. Despite Satan's objections, Mammon follows along when Satan goes to the library.

"You better be here to study, at least, and not just to play with the cat." Satan pulls an old book from a high shelf, then climbs down the ladder. Walking briskly, he chooses a nearby table and immediately begins reading.

"Whaddya mean? Of course I'm here to study!" Mammon states proudly. Not even a second later, he reaches for your fluffy head.

"Mammon."

"I was just wonderin' if the cat had a name."

"Uhh..." Satan looks at you with a bit of panic as you hide calmly under his cape. "The cat's name is... Cape."

"Geez, why not name the poor thing 'Jacket' while you're at it?" Mammon crosses his arms as he falls into his chair.

"I kind of like the name. That way I know this cat will always have my back." Satan pats your head, smiling innocently.

"So cheesey. Whatever." He opens one of the books left on the table by previous visitors.

After a while, Satan suggests to start heading to class, so the brothers part ways. Unfortunately, Satan shares the next class with Asmo again. The bell rings, and hallway is no longer peaceful.

"I'll never forgive you!"

"Asmo! Asmo, I'm sorry!!!"

"It's Asmodeus, to you! Wait, no!!! My name should never be spoken from your mouth again, Levi."