Spending the Night

The door to the Hall or Purgatory closes behind him, and the air feels cold and wet.

"Great. It's about to rain now, just my luck." Satan cradles you under his jacket now, where it's warm and dry. He sighs. "Solomon's right. Maybe I should just ask Lucifer for help. It wouldn't really be for me, would it?"

He looks at you with a pained expression. Going to Lucifer would be a last resort.

"No, I should be able to fix this myself. Solomon wouldn't understand. Of course, if you and Lucifer happened to cross paths, then maybe he'd know it was you. Maybe he wouldn't. If he doesn't, he'll just put you outside like he did with all the other cats I brought home."

You rub your head against him to let him know you're listening. Rain starts to fall. He scratches your chin and smiles.

"We're almost home, don't worry. I know it's late."

His footsteps splash lightly on the puddles, adding more ambience to the raindrops falling on his jacket.

"My brothers will think it's weird if they see a cat sleeping in your room instead of you. And we have school tomorrow, so..." Satan clears his throat. "Maybe... maybe you should sleep in my room tonight. I'll take you to school, so you don't miss out on the lessons, although, you'll still be marked absent, unfortunately."

He laughs to himself. It's a wonderful sound. "Lucifer will be so angry. But, hey, you're a cat now. It's not your fault."

The footsteps stop. "We're here." Satan opens the door quietly as a shadowy figure appears. "Belphie, is that you?"

"My favorite pillow is missing. Can I borrow your cat?"

"This is... no... you can't... absolutely not."

"I'll take that as a yes," Belphie groans, already reaching for your arm.

Satan backs away quickly. "Belphie, I said no."

"I'll tell Lucifer."

"You wouldn't."

"Would I?" Belphie was the youngest demon in the house, but he was clever and pushy when it came to getting what he wanted.

Satan sighs sharply with agitation, then whispers to you. "Looks like I don't have a choice. I have to give you up. I'll leave my door open, if you manage to escape Belphie." He looks back up to Belphegor. "Fine, here, you win. Don't crush the poor cat."

"Thanks, Satan. You're the best." Belphie takes you into his arms, smiling.

"Don't let Lucifer find out either."

"Of course, that's a given. Besides, dealing with Lucifer is always such a hassle." He yawns as he walks back to bed. Satan gives you a small, worried wave, as he heads to his room.

In the middle of the night, as you lie awake, contemplating your life's decisions, you decide to leave the twins' room. You squirm out from under Belphie's head as Beel continues to snore. You could've sworn you heard Beel mumble, "mm, cat."

Scampering across the hall, the sound of your paws sound louder than they did during the day. Everything else is silent. The house feels so different from what it feels like when everyone is awake. It doesn't even feel like the same house.

You squeeze through the crack in Satan's door as the door creaks a little. Satan's room is messier than you remember it being the last time you were here. You hop onto the bed. Somehow, half the bed is covered in books. Knocking a few onto the floor - as it seems Satan has already done before - you catch a glimpse of the birthmark on his back. He probably didn't care to put another shirt on after getting the first one soaked in the rain. Curling up under his chin, you decide to close your eyes.

"Hm..? You're already here..?" Satan asks, groggily. "What time is it?" His hand reaches for his D.D.D.. You have no idea what time it is, and you don't care. Nudging him away from his phone, you hope to lull him back to sleep with your purring. He gently places his hand on your back.

You wake up hours later. Though you'd like to see his sleeping face for a while longer, you know you'd both be late if you let him sleep. As you poke his face with your paw, you hear footsteps close in from down the hall.

The first things you see are the rings on his right hand. "Satan, ya better be up, or Beel's gonna eat your breakfast! Also, have you seen-?" Mammon slams the door open. "You're still asleep?! I'd expect this from Belphie, but you?" Noticing the two bright eyes staring back at him from beside Satan's head, Mammon yells, "AND WITH A CAT?! I'm tellin' Lucifer."

Satan jumps up quickly. "Mammon, wait! Please, please don't tell Lucifer."

"Ya know, there's a reason you're the only one who's not allowed to have any pets. With what happened last time you-"

"I know! I know. But, Mammon, please. I won't tell Lucifer that you blew his card last week on a gift for-"

"Alright, alright, that's enough!" Mammon panics as Satan smirks at him. "I won't tell. I don't care that much anyway, just hurry up and put your uniform on."

"Thanks. I'll be down in a bit."

Mammon waves his goodbyes. Satan stands still, then flashes into a frenzy as soon as his brother is out of sight.

"Oh no, what time is it?!" He almost removes his remaining clothes before remembering that you're not just a cat. "Uhh... Don't look."

You respect his wishes and turn around. He gets dressed quickly.

"Let's go. Keep quiet, alright?" Satan tucks you under his left side cape.