Stitches

definitely didn't start singing shawn mendes after titling this whatttt

"Is it bad?" Ahsoka asks, attempting to look over her shoulder at the mess that she'd made of her side when she'd been shoved against a wall earlier that day by a bounty hunter. Killing the man would have been the only way to keep herself from getting crushed. Luckily, she didn't have to; Anakin had beaten her to it.

"Stop moving," Anakin says back, needle between his teeth while he cleans out the wound. This is going to hurt.

Ahsoka hisses in pain as he dabs gently at the torn skin, instinctively reeling sideways and curling in on herself.

She's quick to apologize and Anakin brushes it off.

"I'll tell you when this time, alright?"

She nods her head briskly.

"Three, two, one." Her only reaction is a tight inhale this time. "Okay?" Anakin asks, laying his unoccupied hand on her shoulder.

She hums a yes, nodding her head.

"It's..." he sighs, "it's pretty deep, Snips. I think you're going to need stitches. I know I'm not the best at them, but we don't know how long it'll be until anyone finds us. It's gonna have to be now."

She lets out a shuddering breath and nods her head again. Anakin is gentle. With her, at least. He'll make sure that she's okay.

"Let's get this over with then."

They do. And it isn't pretty.

Ahsoka's crying, despite her desperate attempts to hold it in, by the time he's finished, and she's bitten quite a few holes in the bunched up fabric of the cloak he'd leant to her (her battle dress had been torn down the side in the incident).

"Just... just one more," Anakin reassures her, narrowing his eyes at the gash because he needs to concentrate on this—not on how badly he wants to comfort her right now.

Her final scream breaks his heart, and he bandages her as quickly and carefully as he possibly can, soothing away the little whimpers that leave her mouth with words or endearment and affirmation.

"You're so strong," he whispers, pulling the shirt the rest of the way over her (lifting her arms could pop the stitches and neither of them want to go through that again). "So brave."

"I'm not a youngling," she sniffs, scowling at his tone of voice as he begins to wrap his arms around her shoulders, ever so carefully. He freezes and watches her lower lip tremble as she attempts to keep her mouth in a steady line.

She's right—she isn't a youngling. Sometimes it's hard for him to not see her that way. Sometimes it's just instinctive to coddle her.

"I'm sorry," he murmurs, resting his chin on top of his arm around her shoulder. At this level, it's easy for him to turn his head and press a kiss to her temple. "I didn't mean to—"

"I know," she replies, remaining streaks from her tears beginning to dry. "Thank you for patching me up... Healer Skyguy."

"Absolutely not," he laughs, kissing her head again. "I didn't even give you any pain medication or anything. I'd be a terrible healer."

She shrugs and he moves with her, still wrapped around her from behind.

"Maybe you're not so great at that part, but you're good at this."

"Good at what?" he hums, eyes closed as he sways her from side to side.

"You know—comforting and stuff."

"'Comforting and stuff,'" he repeats, smiling. "They have an opening for that at the hospital?"

She reaches across with the arm on her good side to slap his cheek lightly, and he only laughs harder.

They don't say much else as Anakin helps her lie down on her good side, making sure that the wound won't be disturbed, before taking the space in the dirt next to her and reaching over to hold her hand before they both fall asleep.

No, no words are spoken, none at all.

Just three squeezes from Anakin's hand, and three back from Ahsoka's.

Three unspoken words, conveyed by a gentle touch.

They both sleep soundly.

cat situation is a lil shaky rn but we're definitely getting one. possibly two but it's a little up in the air rn bc i'm pretty much paying for everything and i do not have a job lol. ive been submitting applications like crazy so please pray that i get work somewhere if you don't mind! i rly need this to work out hahaha