Tracking

request from I_am_snips!! hope you like thissss :) i didn't do the whole thing you requested but i hope that this is enough!

"Where is she?" he growled again, hand hovering over the lightsaber that swung from his waist.

He wouldn't do it. He didn't think he was even capable of it—hurting Rex. But there was guilt in the man's amber eyes. Anakin could feel it in the air between them, flowing steadily like a river and coming solely from his old captain's direction.

"I've already told you, Sir," Rex said back, voice unwavering. He knew his old general. He would not hurt him. He would go to great lengths to ensure the safety of the commander, like he was doing right now, but this was about as far as he'd ever go, Rex knew. "She escaped after we were given the order to kill the Jedi. She helped me to remove my chip and then we got separated after the ship we were on crashed. She must have thought I was dead. For awhile... for awhile I thought that she was too. But now that you're here, demanding to know where she is, I know that she isn't. You would know if she were dead, wouldn't you?"

It was the lack of confidence in his own words that was worrying Anakin. Rex wasn't wrong—he absolutely would have known if Ahsoka had died at some point in the last month that he'd spent searching for her after helping Obi-Wan kill Darth Sidious, following their brutal duel on Mustafar. He was lucky to have a friend like Obi-Wan. Others would have given up on turning him back very quickly.

But there were other things that Rex was doubting. He'd always seemed to trust the strength of his bond with Ahsoka when they were separated on missions, but now... but now it was like he didn't trust him at all.

"She isn't dead, I promise," Anakin said, allowing his hand to relax. He knew what it felt like when Ahsoka died. Pain so unbearable that he had nearly passed out from the force of it, back on Mortis. He hadn't, of course, because he'd used every ounce of the remaining strength in his body to bring his padawan back. The sleep on the shuttle that he'd gotten after that had been dreamless. The exhaustion had made him feel as if he were dead.

"Do you have any idea where she is?" Rex asked.

Anakin shook his head.

"No. That's why I came to you. I... I thought I could hit two birds with one stone. I've been searching for you both. I didn't know if you executed the order on her. I figured you'd either be dead or with her if you hadn't," he explained, looking just past the thick curls of blond hair that had begun to grow out of Rex's head, instead of into his eyes. "But Rex... I'm glad that you're alive. Please don't doubt that."

"I'm glad that you're alive too, Sir." Rex stood awkwardly before his old general, not sure what to do next. Anakin made the first move, wrapping his friend in a tentative hug, which was returned in seconds.

Anakin clapped him on the shoulder before pulling back.

"We'll bring her home to us," Rex said, confidence thick in his voice for the first time thar day. "I know it."

i hope everyone had lovely holidays! 🥰 what was your favorite gift? mine was my PUPPYYYYYY!!!!! I GOT A DOG. LIKE A REAL PUPPY. HE BREATHES AND WALKS AND SLEEPS AND EATS AND EVERYTHING AND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.