Chapter 97: Embrace the Unexpected

"You are not eating enough," Gustus grumbles, fretting over Clarke as she forces down the last of the bread. "I will tell him to bring more later."

Clarke rolls her eyes. "I'm sure he's bringing everything he can, Gus." Frankly, she's not so bothered by her hunger as she is by her frustration. She and Gustus are both healing up well here, and it's reasonably warm, but lying around quietly in a hidden basement twenty-four hours a day is going to drive her mad pretty quickly.

"I am not so sure," Gustus says, voice a rumble of displeasure. "He should go without food if you need more. He made vows to the Commander and the alliance. As her second-in-command, those vows are to you as well."

"Well, I don't need more food," Clarke says reasonably. "I'm fine. I don't want him to starve for me, regardless of what vows he made to the alliance." She looks at him in the half-darkness. "Why did he agree to be a spy for Lexa, anyway? If you remember."

Gustus sighs, some of the annoyance going out of his frame. "For this one, I do remember. Years ago, when Azgeda and Trikru were still at war and Heda had only just ascended, he lived near the border. His daughter was a Seken and her unit was attacked by one of ours and nearly all were killed. The rest were taken to Polis as prisoners to be interrogated. Lexa gave orders not to harm the girl because of her youth, Assan came south and promised his service for her life, and she was returned to him." He looks lost in memories. "After that Assan moved north, and since then he has been tireless in seeking information for Heda, even though his daughter is now grown." He glances at Clarke and his lips quirk into the ghost of a smile. "Did you ask this story so I would remember his past loyalty and be less critical?"

"That depends," Clarke says jokingly. "Did it work?"

"Perhaps," Gustus says evasively, though even in the darkness she can see the amusement in his eyes.

"I guess that means it's my turn to tell a story," Clarke comments. "I think I'm running out, though."

The floor above them is too close for them to even really sit up, so for training they've been limited to things like push-ups and half-sit-ups. Apart from the food Assan brings to them and the regular brief trips above to do things like go to the bathroom and breathe fresh air, there's really nothing to do here. They quiet when there's the sound of conversation above as someone visits Assan, but they've been filling the rest of the time with whispered conversation. Gustus's stories are terse and non-descriptive, and Clarke's are filled with self-interruptions as she clarifies what different things on the Ark are, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, she could tell him the greatest story she has. The story of travelling in time. But if there's anyone who should get to decide whether to tell him that story, it's Lexa.

"I have been meaning to speak to you about something more important," Gustus says, suddenly grave. He passes something into Clarke's hands.

She realises what it is from the texture more than the look of it. "The book Titus told me to get," she says.

"Sha. You are the Fleimkepa. It is yours now."

"No, it's not," Clarke says, trying to pass it back to him.

"Titus gave it to you."

"And I gave it to you," Clarke points out. "I don't want to be a religious leader, especially not of this religion. And I already have a job. And a relationship, for that matter – I'm guessing the Fleimkepa dating the Commander wouldn't be allowed."

"I cannot be the Fleimkepa," Gustus insists, an edge to his voice. "I cannot -"

"Why not?"

Gustus hesitates, then says flatly. "Reading is common among your people, from what you have told me. It is not common among mine."