Chapter 116: Passing the Torch

"I still think you should have gone with Abby's idea of a litter," Raven grumbles.

"A litter for the injured, Raven," Lexa says severely. "Even if I had decided Abby kom Skaikru was correct and I could not handle riding, you would not have been in the litter. She has declared you perfectly healthy."

"Perfectly healthy? Sure," Raven says. "Petrified of horses? Completely. Besides, I don't know about this sharing business," she adds, now addressing Lincoln, who she is riding with. "I just wanna make it clear again, big guy, Octavia is my friend. I don't care how much time I spend wrapped around you on this trip, it doesn't mean that – ooh, muscles."

Lincoln just gives a small smile, by now inured to Raven's ways. "I shall try to resist if you try too," he tells her. "If you begin to feel faint, Wells and I can switch."

"Oh, no," Wells says, for once too emphatic to be really polite. "I'm barely managing to stay on even with Harper's help. With Raven I would fall off immediately." His riding partner, the Skaikru hunter-turned-ambassador's-assistant that Lexa has only hazy memories of, smiles and flushes, leaning backwards into Wells a little too much for correct riding posture.

The Skaikru make a strange group, Lexa thinks, amused. The few available horses have been given to the Skaikru and the wounded, as it is the only way to allow them to keep up with the rest. Raven looks down at the horse with a mixture of suspicion and curiosity, as if it is some kind of dangerous machinery. Wells huddles down against the horse too much, trying to hold onto it instead of the girl in front of him, though Lexa suspects that is more to do with his natural propriety than a dislike of touching her. Harper herself seems able to ride – as she should, after being trained as a hunter in Polis – but is allowing the horse to zigzag wildly, though it is anyone's guess whether she is simply unused to the fiercer Azgeda horses or whether she is trying to encourage Wells to hold onto her properly. Abby sits on the horse primly, holds the reins gingerly, and in general acts as though she is desperately avoiding contact with it, as well as with Gustus.

Then there is Clarke, a nearly-perfect rider despite her late start to it, sitting in front of Lexa holding the reins loosely. Even though Lexa has only one arm to hold onto her niron, and the construction of bandages and wood about Clarke's ankle spooks the skittish horse whenever she touches its flank, she is willing to bet the two of them could beat any of the others in a race. Certainly they are the only ones who have not come close to falling off.

Not that this is the right time for a race, of course. Sadly.

Clarke clucks her tongue and the horse steps forward quickly. Gustus follows suit, trying to keep his horse only a step behind theirs, eyes wary for any possible attacks. He ignores Abby as she lets out a sharp noise of shock at the increased speed. Lexa releases Clarke to gesture to Wells and Harper, who move their horse forward as well. They stopped here on the way north, on the basis of Octavia's advice, sent south by Lexa.

Their coming has caused a commotion. Villagers talk frantically. The village leader stands in the centre, her face impassive, though her concern shows in her eyes. When her gaze falls on Wells, she subtly relaxes and inclines her head. "Wells kom Skaikru," she says. "It is good to see you again. I take it your mission -"

Suddenly, almost comically, her voice peters out as she gets a proper look at Lexa. "Heda," she breathes, taking in the eye make-up and cogwheel Lexa now wears, and falling to her knees. Then she looks even closer. "Saska? How can you – are you – you won the Conclave? But -"

"I won the Conclave years ago," Lexa tells her. "I won the last Conclave there will ever be. I am Lexa kom Trikru, Commander of the Thirteen Clans, and I thank you for your services to our people. Without you we may not have been able to retrieve what Nia stole. A theft she has paid for with her life, I must tell you."