Chapter 106: The Way We Choose

Lexa has Assan take the lead, since he will be most able to detect trails in the snow, and he seemed to recognise the mountain Clarke described to him. After him Lexa places Linkon in their line of bedraggled people, so that if he falls there will be several people behind him to notice. Then Raven, supported partially by Clarke. Lexa herself takes the rear since it is the second-most dangerous position and along with Assan she is the least injured.

None of them have enough energy to talk. They barely have enough energy to move. They have been awake for many hours – with the exception of Linkon, who is still drowsy from the sedative – have been hit by shrapnel, have moved at high speed over ice for hours, have been close to a number of bomb blasts, and have taken part in a short battle. Lexa considers allowing them all to rest, but knows there is nowhere they can do that safely, even though Assan offered to stand watch. Struggling on half-dead with exhaustion is still safer than remaining near the lake, especially since they do not know of any caves or other places to hide.

After all, there is plenty of time to rest when you are dead. She does not subscribe to Raven's optimistic view or to Clarke's tentative hope that some way out of this may still be found. They walk north to their deaths. They will freeze long before any of the Coalition clans can march north safely, long before Roan can convince the Azgeda Nia is dead and establish control over them.

Eventually Lexa summons the energy to say to Clarke, "You know how to get into Nia's palace. Just one entrance?"

"Yep," Clarke says grimly. "As far as I know, anyway, and I spent quite a bit of time searching that place for useful things. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I believe so. Is the bomb powerful enough?" Lexa asks Raven.

Raven blinks, looking far more out of it than anyone else, and hides a cough. "Enough for what?"

"We need to be able to bring down a tunnel," Clarke explains. "Mostly built of snow. Very narrow and the ceiling's too low to stay on a horse inside it. We need it to bring down enough snow and rocks that it will be pretty much impossible for them to dig out of."

"Oh, I get it," Raven says, tired eyes brightening. "Trap 'em like rats. Yeah, should be enough to blast the passage at least. I don't know what it will do to the rest. It's a mountain with a whole castle in it, from what you've said, so if we start a chain reaction we could accidentally collapse the whole damn thing."

"Even better," Clarke replies, forcing a smile.

"I'll set the timer," Raven says.

Assan intrudes on the conversation. Lexa had not even realised he could hear them. "Is there any good reason to do that? Our fights will end whatever happens."

"There is a good reason," Raven responds, looking annoyed. "The good reason is, 'I don't want to die blown to pieces or crushed by snowfall'."

"She is right," Lexa says calmly. "We will not survive it, most likely, but I would prefer to outlive Nia. Just so that I know that we have done what we set out to do, and have brought justice to her. Also, if we destroy the castle the gonakru will not be able to get any further orders from Nia, so organisation may dissolve. They will still be blocking the way to the south but one of us may be able to survive in the far north long enough to give the Flame to our people when they arrive. Assan – or Zion, if we can find him – might have a chance."

"Or Roan could arrive," Clarke suggests, though she sounds doubtful. "Take over leadership. Save us. It's possible he stayed close enough. So we set a timer and try not to blow ourselves up or trap ourselves inside."

"The castle is a secret," Lexa comments. "But a few Azgeda will know of it. When they stop hearing from Nia, they will arrive to investigate. We cannot let them call in the whole army – if they have enough people they might be able to dig Nia and the others out."