Chapter 117: Homecoming

It doesn't seem real that she's been gone for over a month until she sees Arkadia.

The – city? Town? It's too big to be a village, surely – is as different from it was when she left as it is from its iteration in the previous world. Gone are the dirty paths and basic, nailed together sheds, the ragged fences of sticks and wire. The buildings show some signs of decoration, now, a few of the doors painted or carved, the edges smoothed. There's something vaguely futuristic about some of the designs, obviously inspired by space or by the aesthetic of the Ark. A few electric lights glow but warm, flickering firelight provides nearly as much illumination. The trees, bushes and flowers surrounding the buildings keep it from looking too separate from the world around it.

At a signal from Lexa, their group dissolves, people dismounting and leading away horses. Most of the gonakru were left behind in Azgeda territory, but a few dozen still accompany them. Lexa gets off the horse and helps Clarke down, eyes on Kane. At another gesture everyone backs away so that they're in a bubble of isolation for their greeting. Even Abby, going to greet her friend, is gently but irresistibly pulled away by Gustus. Raven, riding with a random gona now that Lincoln has struck out for Polis (ostensibly to deliver word of their arrival but actually to see Octavia as soon as possible), rolls her eyes as he obediently backs up the horse.

"Greetings, Commander," Kane says, bowing his head respectfully. Then he turns slightly to face Clarke, a smile lighting up his face. "Clarke, it's good to see that you're safe. I'm sorry that you were endangered on my watch."

"It's not your fault, Chancellor," Clarke assures him. "It was Diana Sydney's fault."

"I see. Is Diana...?" He must see the answer on her face, because he nods sharply and turns back to Lexa again. "I've had a house built for you and your retinue, Commander, for this and future visits. I hope you find it comfortable."

Lexa blinks. "I do not need a house," she protests. "Certainly not one that will be empty nine-tenths of the time."

"I don't wish to contradict you, Commander, but yes, you do," Kane says, just as firmly. "My people are still learning about rank in this world. To the other clans, the signs of the Commander are clear indications of authority, but to my people they aren't yet. But the most elaborate house in the village being set aside for your use, and the use of anyone you deem appropriate? That's authority."

Lexa hesitates, then sighs and nods. "I suppose I should not give you command of your people then balk at how you use it," she remarks dryly.

"Well," Kane looks momentarily wary. "I needed to speak to you about that. I have taken an action that – well, I hope is within my powers. I know that the current members of my council were chosen with your permission and endorsement."

"You fired someone?" Clarke asks with interest. "Wait – it wasn't Mom, was it? Is that why you sent her north?"

"No, your mother is still one of my advisors," says Kane, though he looks like he's suppressing a smile. "I sent Abby north because I couldn't have stopped her."

"You're in charge."

"Being a good leader means knowing which battles not to fight," Kane tells her, once again suppressing a smile.

Lexa raises an eyebrow at him, recalling them both to the actual issue at hand. "So how have you changed your council, Marcus kom Skaikru?"

"I had to replace Jay," he says. Clarke struggles to remember who Jay was, then manages to conjure up an image of Pike's angry second-in-command. "He died from the aftereffects of smoke inhalation a week after your kidnapping, Clarke."