No Dirt for Spawns - Chapter 3

Eddie's PoV -

I awake to my phone ringing. It's late. 11:15 P.M. Who could be calling me at this hour?

Venom is curled around me. He sits up at the sound of the phone.

Do not answer that!

"What... why?" I look at the phone to see Dan's name displayed.

If he is calling me at this hour it must be important. I answer, "Hello..."

Dan begins to talk but I feel Venom take control of my body. "We do not want to talk to you, loser doctor!" Venom states in my voice before he makes me throw my phone across the room. I feel myself regain control.

"Venom! Why would you do that?! Whatever Dan was going to tell me was important! What the f**k are you hiding?!" I shout angrily. To anyone watching me it would look like I was shouting to myself while pacing my living room.

We are sorry, Eddie.

"I thought you cared about me, Vee. If you cared about me you wouldn't persuade me to not go to the doctors, you wouldn't hang up on an important phone call, and you certainly wouldn't keep secrets from me!" Tears begin to fall. The realization that Venom might not love me as much as I love him is too much to handle. Maybe I am a simple host to him. Just his 'ride'.

Eddie is everything to us. Eddie is our world. Our love.

I'm sobbing now. I shouldn't be sobbing. I hate letting myself feel weak. "Sometimes it doesn't feel like that, Vee."

We are sorry, Eddie. Do you want the truth?

Venom squirms his way into my arms. He drys my tears but more fall. "Yes... I want the truth."

Will we be angry? Will we hurt ourselves or others?

"No... just tell me."

We are pregnant.

What did Venom just say? How? I'm speechless. Minutes pass as I try to think of a response.

Talk to us, Eddie. Are we mad? We will not hurt our spawns will we?

I rub Venoms head still trying to process this information. "Vee, we are not mad," I kiss his forehead. "Don't worry, our children are safe, I won't let anyone take them from us."

Venom cuddles into me and gently rubs my stomach.

We will protect us. All of us.

Our moment is ruined when my phone rings again from across the room. Venom's tendril reaches across the room and hands me my phone back. The screen is slightly cracked but I can tell that the screen reads 'Dan'. I answer, "Sorry, Venom took control earlier."

"Eddie, your tests are back and we received some confusing results... All signs say that you are pregnant but that's not possible. There's not a chance that you could be pregnant, is there?" Dan states.

I run a hand over my stomach. Venom intertwines our hands. "Yes, Dan, I am pregnant."

"Wh- How?" Dan seems amazed.

"Dan, I'm bonded to an alien who has made me it's mate. It's not that unexpected, is it?" I question.

"I guess not... You're pregnant... When would you like to schedule an ultrasound?" Dan rambles.

The nearest time is a week from today so I schedule the appointment in my phone. "We're going to have a baby," I state mostly to myself but Venom replies.

     Two babies.

     "How can you tell what we're having?" I ask.

     We feel two little heartbeats in our stomach.

     I smile and cuddle into my boyfriend. We spend the night sleeping on the couch. I'm too overwhelmed and still a little nauseous to walk to our bed.

     I wake up to the smell of pancakes. I open my eyes and instantly shield them from the light shining through the windows. Once my eyes adjust I find Venom in the kitchen presumably making pancakes.

     We need to eat more. We have four lives in our body, Eddie. We must eat for four.

     Venom hands me a plate with chocolate chip pancakes coated in blueberry syrup. The sight makes me nauseas but I try to take a small bite anyway. It actually tastes pretty good. I continue to eat and manage to consume over half. Venom purrs obviously pleased with my apatite.

     "Thank you my love," I hold Venom's head and pet him.

     I'm helping Venom with the dishes when an odd feeling washes over me. "I'll be right back," I state and Venom just hums in reply.

    I scuttle to our bedroom. On the windowsill is a small aloe plant. My mouth waters. I take a small pinch of dirt and put it in my mouth. The earthy flavor washes over my tastebuds. That's even better than the pancakes. I take another pinch and savor the flavor. I eat pinch after pinch till the plant's roots are showing. I remove the plant before tipping the ceramic pot back and allowing myself to eat the dirt as if it were a cup of soup.

     Eddie, what are we doing?

     Venom walks in and catches me eating the dirt.

     Eddie!

     He forcibly takes the pot from me. Only about an inch of dirt covers the bottom of the pot. That would have been a delicious inch of dirt though. "Venom, can I have it back? You wanted me to eat more."

     No, spawns do not get nutrients from dirt. Dirt is not good for, Eddie.

     I cross my arms and pout. I haven't ate nearly anything in a month and now the one thing that actually tastes good, I can't have. That's not fair. I hear Venom chuckle at my tantrum but I don't reply. Instead we settle onto the couch. I work on my laptop while Venom Google's baby articles on my phone.