Separation Anxiety - Chapter 17

- 3 years have passed... Dylan and Vulcan are now 5 years old...-

Dylan's PoV -

We need food, Dylan.

"I'm tired, Vulcan. Can we wait an hour till I get up?" I sigh as I snuggle into my pillow.

Vulcan has been pushy lately. He's not been the passive symbiot I've always known and I'm not sure why. Every time I ask him what's wrong he refuses to talk.

Stop thinking, it's annoying. Now, let's get food.

Suddenly I'm standing and walking towards the kitchen. "I told you not to take control of me! It makes me feel like a robot or something."

Okay, fine.

Suddenly, I stop moving and fall to the floor. I can't move. I can't move my arms or even talk. My breathing becomes labored and my heart races.

This is what you are without me. Who is in control?

"Please help. I can't breathe." I think to Vulcan.

Suddenly, I can breath again and my heart slows down. Though I'm still not in control of my body I am able to survive and talk. "Vulcan, it hurts my feelings when you do that. It makes me feel like you don't love me."

     Silence.

    "You do love me, don't you. I love you, Vulcan."

We need food.

     Involuntarily, my body opens the fridge and I'm devouring a raw ham. Once the food is gone, I'm in control again. "You do love me don't you?" I place my hand up to my left shoulder where Vulcan used to appear and slither down my arm so I could hold him. We would sit like that for hours while I pet my symbiot and traced his silver veins. Vulcan never lets me do that anymore. He scarcely materializes outside of me. I truly feel fractured like my other half doesn't want me anymore. Vulcan is still silent. I feel tears begin to form. I try to push them back but they're falling. I lay down on the living room couch and curl up into a ball. The old Vulcan would have comforted me but now Vulcan just sits inside me. He rests in the pit of my stomach cold and quiet. "I don't even know you anymore, Vulcan."

To bad. You're stuck with me if you want to survive.

     "Vulcan, how can you say that! We are one. You're my other. We're supposed to care for each other."

No, we're supposed to coexist so we can both survive. However, I can always find a new host while you'd die within a matter of minutes without me.

     Tears fall uncontrollably. I want out of this. I tear at my chest and manage to get a hold of Vulcan. Dark blue goo coats my hands as I pull the symbiot out of me. I can't take this anymore! I throw Vulcan to the ground. Vulcan, hisses at me. That's not my Vulcan. I fall back into the couch. I feel my heart begins to race. I can't move my head. Instead I'm stuck staring at the dark blob of blue goo. Vulcan's usually silver veins glow an eary red. He takes one more look at me in my pitiful state before creeping into the air vent leaving me to die alone.

Eddie's PoV -

     Tonight was date night. Venom and I have been taking Friday evenings off to do something fun together. We laid the kids down for a nap before going out to a new steak restaurant. I reserved a table in the back of the restaurant in the darkest corner. There Venom can somewhat form out of view and I can cut up bits of steak and feed my lover. Halfway through our meal Venom abruptly retreated inside of me. Panic and dread washes over me, the feelings not entirely my own. "Vee, what's happening?"

We need to get home now!

     I throw a hundred on the table and hurriedly exit the restaurant. Once outside I turn a corner into a dark alley. Vee knows what to do. Suddenly, I'm watching through Venom's eyes as he climbs and swings his way to our apartment. We crash through a window and find Dylan passed out on the couch. Vee sinks back into me but remains half-formed.

Call Dan. Dylan is dying. Have him meet us at the hospital now!

     I call Dan as Venom controls the rest of my actions. Dylan is held in our arms as we rush downstairs and onto my motorcycle. Venom drives fast, swerving between heavy traffic.

     "Hey, Eddie," Dan answers.

     "Meet us at the hospital, now! Dylan is scarcely breathing!" I shout.

     "On my way!" Dan immediately hangs up. 

Vulcan is gone. He's not with Dylan.

     "What!?" I cry. "Where is he!?"

     Venom partially soaks into Dylan, somehow forming a connection between the three of us. "Dad's?!" I hear Dylan's voice in my head.

    "Yes, it's okay baby. We're going to get you help," I reply.

     "Vulcan left me. He wasn't acting himself."

     "Shhhh, we'll find him. We will get him back to you," I hold my baby close while Venom continues driving.

     "He hates me. Vulcan is not the same. He doesn't love me anymore. He left me to die."

     "What? Vulcan did that?!" I'm in shock. I thought my babies were getting along. I thought they were safe.

     "I'm scared, dada... I lo-"

I'm sorry. I couldn't hold the connection any longer. Dylan's body is rejecting me.

     I'm sobbing as I hold my dying baby. I can't lose them both! Vulcan is missing and Dylan is dying in my arms!

     We're off the motorcycle before it even stops. Dan meets us with a cot and an oxygen tank. "Vulcan left him!" I cry out to Dan before he rushes Dylan in to the emergency room.

Now, all I can do is wait. I sit in the emergency room's waiting area. Venom gently rubs my back under my jacket and I sob waiting to see my baby.