Chapter One

Skylar's Perspective
The meadows rolled out in front of us. The sun shone in the sky like a smile from outer space. The trees were shaking. I spotted the storm brewing in the distance. I hoped Luna wasn't out there. Where is she? I wondered as I rode my horse. We had ridden through the lands of the kingdom. I had searched every inch looking for Luna. I had raced through the forests around the castle. Luna used to run through the trees with grace. I sighed sadly with defeat. She had disappeared. I patted my horse's mane softly. I looked over at Lily, my maidservant, and my best friend. She was riding my sister's horse. Maybe it was her horse now; I thought to myself; My sister Luna still hasn't come home. Where is she? Where did she go?

    I gazed back at the place I called home. The big beautiful white stone castle of the Diamond Kingdom. It was glorious in its powerful beauty. It loomed high and stared into the sky. I couldn't imagine leaving home behind.

    "Princess Skylar, today marks the date. It's been two years since-" Lily sighed, "since Princess Luna left."

    She glanced back at the Sundown Valley below the meadow. The wind blew back her long black hair. Tears trailed down her beautiful face. The mention of the length of time was hurtful. Time seemed to be slipping away and Luna was still not back. My hand closed into a fist.

    "My sister promised she'd come back." I lied.

   "If she was alive she'd be eighteen now." Lily murmured, "She was supposed to marry Prince James. If she came back nobody would marry her."

   "She is still alive!" I protested. "She is still out there! She will come home!"

   "She hasn't come back. I don't think she will." Lily continued, "Why would she? To the castle where you'll rule? There's nothing for her here."

   That's not true. I'm here for Luna, I thought to myself sullenly. Lily looked back at me. She searched my face with her deep eyes. I turned my head sideways. My nose stuck rigidly into the air. I couldn't let her think I was weak and emotional. I huffed indignantly.

    "Are you good, Princess Skylar?" Lily asked.
   "I just don't want to think about this anymore. It's hurtful. Let's just finish our ride, Lily." I said disdainfully.

    "I'm sorry, Princess Skylar. I didn't mean to offend you." She said with deep concern.

    She nodded as a courtesy to me. I couldn't help it. I felt tears well up in my eyes. They overflowed. I cursed silently that I couldn't help myself as tears raced down my face. Lily hung her head in shame. In the past I had blamed her for my tears. Now I just blamed Luna. I wiped them away.

    The black horse trotted ahead, which pulled Lily farther away from me. I watched them go. I felt cold and alone. Lily turned her horse towards the stable.
    Before I began my busy day I glanced back. I took in one last breath of the peaceful place. Again I wiped away my tears. I forced on a smile. Despite it all I wished Luna was with us. Then I pressed Stella onwards in hot pursuit. I pushed my thoughts away. We closed the gap between Lily and Bella in mere seconds. I had the best mare in all the land. She was the fastest. I patted Stella's mane. If she were the mare of a Prince she would've won medals. Luna and I used to do everything together. We had named our horses Bella and Stella together.

    At the stables we were greeted by our favorite stable boy. His name was William. He always took care of my horse. In her attempt to impress William, Lily started to brush Bella next to him. William moved so gracefully with the horses, but Lily always looked clumsy in comparison. She tripped over her own feet. I quickly tried to stifle a laugh. I put my hand over my lips. A small giggle escaped me. William chuckled with me. Lily jumped back to Bella's side. She brought the brush up to her fur again.