Chapter Fifteen

Skylar's Perspective
We rode the dragon for hours. I clung to his scaly neck. The moon started to rise high in the sky. It seemed so close as it shined on us. It was like I could almost reach it.

      "We need to settle down for the night." Prince James announced with a yawn.

    "Of course. I forgot you two need your beauty sleep." Mozale grumbled.

   We reached a hill for Bean to land on. It offered no shelter. I could see forests below us in every direction.

    "Where are we to sleep?" Prince James asked.

    "Under Bean's wing of course." Mozale replied.

Awkwardly James and I walked to Bean's side. He covered us with his huge wing. Bean tucked us in underneath. His wing was like a tent. Mozale laid back against Bean's belly. I watched her. She did it so naturally like it was her routine. I guess she was a dragon traveler. I looked over at James. His eyes were closed and his breathing was slow, I could tell he was already asleep. He was a truly great prince at the end of the day. He didn't snore. He looked handsome, even when he was asleep. He was very brave to try to fight the evil creatures we faced, and like me he tried to do everything perfectly. He was a great guy for me. Soon Luna and I would be together again. He had said he had never loved Luna and he had always loved me. Was it true that he had only come out here for me? I tried to push my thoughts away. Would Luna approve and let me marry James or would she be upset? I found it hard to sleep with my mind racing. I settled against James. He was comfortable and fit with me like the missing piece to a puzzle. I stared up at the giant scales of the dragon wing. It was hard to accept this fantasy.

   In the morning we rode through the air quickly and quietly.

   "We've reached seven miles!" I announced cheerfully. "I think"

   Mozale snickered at me. Darkness seemed to dance in her black eyes. I bit my lip as I scanned the surrounding area. There was no sign of any warriors. I doubted Mozale really knew the goblin language. I wondered if she was really taking us to Luna. Mozale flew us through the forest. We landed in a clearing. All we found was what looked like the remains of an old campsite. If any warriors had lived here they obviously didn't live here now.

     "Fuck." Mozale groaned.

James picked up a piece of flint and started a fire with the sticks he had collected. I sat down on a log that was near the fire. I missed my maidservant. Lily would be having so much fun on this journey. If only I had asked James if Lily could have come with us. I sighed in regret. James looked over at me.

   "What's wrong Skylar?" He asked.

   "I miss home. I miss my maidservant. I wish Lily were here with me." I said with a sigh.

  "I miss home too. We'll be headed back as soon as we find Luna." He said with a smile. "Think of it like this we're on a great adventure that we can tell everyone when we're back."

    "Yeah you're right, I guess." I said.

    "Don't worry. Have some fun." He replied.

    James patted me on the back. I looked up and saw the large green dragon sat hunched up and hunkered over the campsite, which was too small for him. Mozale waved her hands in the air. Then suddenly he was as small as one of Father's hunting dogs. I gasped. Mozale smiled. It was another one of her magic tricks. Bean happily trotted over to the fire. He rubbed against my legs. I shivered at the touch. He was like a dog.

   After we had warmed ourselves by the fire we came across a small town before nightfall. Mozale's dark eyes sparkled with a taunting gaze as she led us through the roads. She gestured to a rundown building. I paused in the street before we entered the building. The bricks had started to crumble and fade. Glass was broken in the window frames. The door looked rusty and uninviting. James had heard me stop and turned to face me.