Chapter 2

Cassie Peil sighed as she sank into her living room couch. Having finally finished moving into her apartment and saying goodbye to her father, she could now bask in what was now her new home. She would be living here during her third year at New York University. Just realizing that she had made it to her third year of college was mind-blowing in and of itself. To be moved in and poised to start school once again in a few days only added to the feeling.

"I'm glad that's all done."

Cassie whipped her head around to find her best friend, Mariana Bruno, walking towards the couch. Just like Cassie, she was also all moved in, and her parents had left too. She plopped onto the couch and sighed loudly.

"Me too," Cassie said. "It's been a long day."

Mariana's huff was one of exhaustion. "It was. Wanna order dinner tonight? I'm way too tired to cook."

"Hell yeah!"

It was Mariana who placed a delivery order to their favourite sushi place in New York City. Once she was done, she set her phone down and stretched her body out on the couch.

"I'm happy to be back in NYC," Cassie remarked. "I love this city so much."

"Me too," Mariana said with a small smile. "It's way more exciting than Buffalo by a long shot."

"Oh, absolutely!" Cassie exclaimed. "This is my favourite place for sure."

"Same," Mariana replied. "I'm also eager for school to start."

"So am I. I still can't get over the fact that we're in our third year at NYU. Can you believe it??"

"I can, but I also can't. It's a lot to take in, girl."

Cassie laughed. "It really is. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things."

"Same here," Mariana said. "My semester is gonna be so much fun! I get to learn even more about filming and TV production, which is always so interesting."

"My semester is gonna be kinda hard, but I'm up for the challenge," Cassie replied. "Here's hoping we both do well."

"I like the sound of that," Mariana remarked.

Just then, someone buzzed their apartment. It was Cassie who answered it, letting the courier up to the apartment. She took the food and handed Mariana her order. She sat beside her before the two began to eat dinner.

"How are you?" Cassie suddenly asked a short while later. "I meant to ask you earlier, but it totally slipped my mind."

"It's okay," Mariana responded. "And I'm doing well, thanks. How about you?"

Cassie hesitated but answered the question anyway. "As excited as I am to start school again and be in NYC again...I'm dreading the thought of running into Isaac and Lexi again."

Mariana raised her eyebrows. "I understand. Really, I do."

"Thanks," Cassie said. "I still hate their fucking guts. I haven't forgiven either of them for their shit."

"Are you still gonna...you know..." Mariana trailed off and bit her lip.

Cassie narrowed her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows. "What?"

Mariana sighed. "Are you still gonna try and win Isaac back?"

Upon that question coming up, Cassie cringed. She hadn't forgotten her desperate attempts during second year to try and win Isaac back. She'd done so before he and Lexi had started dating, and only kept up her efforts after the fact. Just thinking back on all those unpleasant memories soured Cassie's mood.