Chapter 30

It was only a few days later when Spring Break ended, and school resumed once again. Lexi had spent the first Tuesday back at school enduring yet another dreadful eight AM lecture. But she perked up when Isaac texted her after class. He asked her out for an early lunch at The Bean's Knees and she happily accepted his invitation. While they had reunited in person the previous day, any chance to see him again was one she wanted to jump on.

Lexi approached The Bean's Knees to find Isaac waiting for her outside. She hurried over to keep him waiting any longer. Despite it being well into March, winter hadn't let up much at all. Snow continued to pile up across New York City as it grew colder out every day.

"Hey, babe."

"Hey. Aren't you cold?"

Isaac shrugged. "It's not as bad as it was yesterday."

"I guess," Lexi remarked casually before kissing his lips. "Let's get inside."

The couple entered The Bean's Knees, which was as busy as they had expected. Lexi went looking for a table while Isaac got in line to buy lunch. She ended up grabbing one of the last empty tables near the entrance of the café. Once seated, she took her coat and hat off before settling into her seat. She had to wait for several minutes before Isaac joined her with food and drinks in hand. He handed her the food and coffee she'd asked for before taking his seat.

"Thank you."

"Of course," Isaac said. "I'm glad we were able to hang out."

"Me too. Do you have another class today?" Lexi asked.

"Yeah, at one PM."

Lexi glanced at the clock on the wall to see that it was just after 11:30 AM. "I'm glad I only had one class today. I fucking hate eight AM lectures. They're the absolute worst."

"Yeah, they're a bitch," Isaac remarked. "I only have the other class today, and then I'm free to do whatever. I mean...I say that, but I'll most likely just stay home and do homework. I'm a little behind on my readings."

"I'm all caught up on mine," Lexi announced after swallowing a mouthful of her garden salad.

Isaac rolled his eyes. "Congrats. Do you want a trophy?"

"Well, since you offered..."

"Seriously?"

Lexi burst into a fit of laughter. "I'm only teasing, babe."

"Oh, I know," Isaac said before laughing.

Before Lexi could think to say something else, someone she hadn't seen in months suddenly entered The Bean's Knees with others in tow. Her blue-green eyes almost bulged out of her head.

"Cassie's here."

Isaac raised his eyebrows but didn't bother to look over at his ex-girlfriend. "Is she alone?"

Lexi shook her head. "She came in with a few people, but I don't know any of them. I'm gonna assume they're people from one of her classes."

"They're probably working on a group project or just hanging out," Isaac guessed.

"Most likely," Lexi whispered. She watched Cassie shoot her a dirty look as she entered the line to buy something. Her long, dark brown hair was in a messy ponytail and it looked as if she hadn't slept in a couple of days.

"Did she mouth something to you?" Isaac asked.

Lexi covered her mouth to suppress a snicker. "No, but she did shoot me a nasty look just now. Can't say I'm surprised."

"Yeah, I'm not surprised either."

Lexi noticed Cassie leaving the counter with an everything bagel and a large coffee in her hands. She joined her group at another table, which sat just a few feet from where Lexi and Isaac sat. Cassie paid the couple no mind as she began eating and chatting with her friends.