Chapter 12

Lexi and Isaac entered his bedroom shortly after the former's confrontation with Cassie had ended. The dance music blaring from the living room could still be heard clearly, but it was nowhere near as loud as it has been earlier. Isaac locked the door to his bedroom while Lexi found herself a seat on the bed. Isaac joined her a moment later.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Lexi said. "It was just Cassie being Cassie again. Nothing new there."

"What exactly did she say this time?" Isaac asked. "I'm curious."

"Well, she first mocked my costume for its 'originality'"— Lexi added air quotes to the insult— "and I was like, 'Why the fuck do you care so much?'. She then called me ugly and was like, 'I don't get what any guy would see in you.'"

Isaac's hands balled up into fists. "Seriously? What the fuck?"

"I know," Lexi remarked. "I just told her that I think I'm pretty and that I don't give a shit what she thinks about how I look. I then told her that she's the last person to call anyone ugly 'when she's so ugly on the inside."

"That's bang on," Isaac interjected. "You're absolutely right to have said that."

Lexi nodded. "Cassie didn't like what I said, but I just told her to fuck off. She refused to go, so I tried to join you back in the living room. But she stood in front of me and refused to let me go around her. Since she's taller than me, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot I could've done. We just shared some choice words before you showed up. Thank you again for doing that, by the way."

"Of course, babe," Isaac said. "I honestly didn't think you and Cassie were going at it again— I thought something else had happened. That's why I went looking for you. But I'm really glad I found you before things got worse."

"Well, I'm glad to be away from her now," Lexi remarked. She punctuated her thoughts with a sigh of relief.

"I'm so sorry that Cassie keeps harassing you every chance she gets. You don't deserve any of it."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Isaac. I honestly don't enjoy being so rude to her 'cause I know she's your ex and you two used to really care about each other. So, I'm sure you care about her even now— at least, to some extent."

"Not particularly, to be honest," Isaac interrupted. "If Cassie was civil, or even just ignored you, then I could tolerate her at the very least. So, don't worry about whether you're being too mean to her or whatever. After all the hell she's put you through, you deserve to let her have it."

"Thanks, baby," Lexi commented.

Isaac nodded and kissed her forehead.

"I do have to say," Lexi added, "that Cassie's antics mostly amuse me than upset me anymore. I wish she'd let things go between us, but she just won't. It's kinda sad when you think about it."

"It is," Isaac replied. He paused to chuckle. "Ah well, it's not our problem."

"True," Lexi mused before giggling a bit.

Isaac kissed her forehead again. "Wanna ditch this party and spend some alone time together at your place? We can watch a couple of horror movies and just chill out."

The request caused Lexi to do a double-take. "We can if you'd like to do that. Are you sure your roommates won't mind you leaving?"

"I'm sure," Isaac insisted.

"Alright then. I would like to try and find Nikita to tell her what's going on. Do you mind?"

"No, not at all. I'll just be waiting at the front door for you, okay?"