Chapter 14

Isaac walked home from New York University after a long day of classes. He yawned while making the journey back to his apartment. He was eager to get home and have the rest of the day all to himself. He wanted to call his parents to catch up with them before diving into his homework from today's classes.

But when he walked into his apartment, he could clearly hear a man and a woman having loud sex. The abhorrent noise came straight from Felipe's room, making it clear who the culprit was. Isaac quickly got out of there without a shred of hesitation.

You've got to be fucking kidding me, he thought as he shook his head with disgust. Of course he's busy fucking some chick right when I arrive home from school. God, I fucking hate it when he does this.

He proceeded to slam the door and storm out of his apartment for the library. He would've walked over to Lexi's apartment, but she was currently in class and wouldn't be home for quite some time. With that option currently unavailable, he chose the library because it was closer to his place than The Bean's Knees. As he headed that way, he texted Felipe.

Isaac: When you're done sleeping with your newest hookup, please let me know 'cause I'd like to come home. Thank you.

He soon made it to the library, where he began doing his schoolwork. He typed up notes from today's classes while listening to some music with his ear buds. He managed to get his notes done for one of his two classes when he received a text from Felipe.

Felipe: Hey, you're good to come back. Sorry about that, dude.

Isaac didn't waste any time packing up his belongings and leaving the library to go home for the second time. When he was about a foot away from his apartment complex, he spotted a familiar face walking away.

"Hey, Nikita! How's it goin'?" he greeted with a smile.

"Oh, hey. Uh, I'm good," she replied in a rushed voice. "Sorry, but I gotta go. Later!"

Isaac watched as Nikita briskly walked away from him. He couldn't help but furrow his eyebrows in confusion. He'd never seen her try to avoid him in the years that they'd known each other. Usually, Nikita would never mind saying hi and even stopping to make some small talk with him before they went their separate ways. So, to see her greet him and then walk away as quickly as she did caught him by surprise.

What's with her? Something's up, he thought with bewilderment.

Their brief yet awkward exchange was still on Isaac's mind when he entered his apartment. He spotted Felipe sitting on the futon in the living room. He looked up when he saw his best friend come in.

"Hey, I'm so sorry I did that to you," he said in a remorseful voice. "I totally forgot that you get out of class at three. That's my bad."

Isaac brushed it off. "It's fine. I'm sure I'll do it to you in the future with Lexi."

"Yeah, probably," Felipe remarked with a laugh. "Are we cool?

"We're cool, man. By the way, I just ran into Nikita when I was walking home. I tried saying hi to her, but she left in a big hurry. It wasn't like her whatsoever. I thought she was upset about someone or something, so I didn't stop to ask her about it in case she didn't wanna talk about it."

Felipe's smile faded. "Oh...really?" He chuckled and looked away from his best friend.

"What? Do you know anything about that?" Isaac asked.

"Nope. I didn't even know she was at our complex."

"Wait...I never said she was at our apartment complex. And why did you get so quiet when I mentioned it?"