Chapter 15

When Thanksgiving break finally rolled around, Lexi took an early morning flight from New York City to San Diego early Thursday morning. The nonstop flight took about six hours in total and turned out to be a long day. So, Lexi was relieved when she finally made it to her hometown in one piece. She grabbed her luggage before making her way near the exit of the airport. She spotted her father from a long way's away and picked up the pace. They hugged tightly and her father kissed her on the head. Father and daughter hugged for what felt like forever.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too, Dad."

They made their way to his SUV a moment later. Lexi put her suitcase in the back before getting into the passenger seat.

"How are you?" she asked once she and her father began the journey home.

"I'm good," her father answered. "Work has calmed down quite a bit, which is nice. I'm sorry we weren't able to spend time with you during Reading Week."

"It's okay, Dad. I understand how busy you and Mom can get with your jobs. Besides, it wasn't all that bad staying in New York City."

"What did you do during Reading Week then? Actually, maybe don't answer that— I don't want you to have to repeat yourself. I'm sure your mother will ask you the same thing."

Lexi laughed. "Fair enough. Thanks."

Once they made it home, Lexi grabbed her suitcase and walked up to her childhood home. But her mother flung the door open before Lexi could even think about doing so. She enveloped her only child in a massive hug that was happily returned.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too, Mom."

Her mother broke away to stare directly into her daughter. Lexi managed to blink away some tears that had formed in her blue-green eyes. The last thing she wanted was to start an impromptu crying session between them when she had just made it home.

"I love you, sweetie."

"I love you too, Mom. I'm glad to be home."

Once inside, Lexi and her parents spent the rest of the day catching up. Lexi told them about school, her friends, and her relationship with Isaac. Her parents discussed recent happenings at their respective jobs and their mutual group of friends. They didn't bring up their concerns about Lexi's major for once, much to her relief. Her parents were just happy having their daughter home for the holidays. Lexi felt the same way and didn't try to keep her feelings hidden either. She'd been looking forward to a break from school for so long that she was eager to enjoy Thanksgiving with her family.

***

Lexi woke up early Friday morning to help her mother prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. Their family would be hosting this year, and there was going to be a big turnout. Her paternal grandparents were coming, as well as her aunts and uncles on her father's side of the family. She would also see her cousins, who ranged from adults to teenagers. Just the idea of seeing everyone left Lexi smiling as she peeled some yellow potatoes in the kitchen. Her mother was nearby cutting up some turnips while her father took care of outside chores.

"You look awfully happy," Lexi's mother remarked. "It's nice to see that."

"I am happy," Lexi confirmed. "I'm glad I'm gonna see everyone today. I know it's stressful hosting, but we're all gonna have a great time."

"I agree," her mother said.

Lexi and her mother proceeded to spend the next several hours prepping and cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. They took a break near noon, alongside Lexi's father, to have a quick lunch. Once that was over, Lexi and her mother organized the living room while her father finished cleaning up leaves in the backyard.