Chapter 33

Late into the night, Lexi and Isaac had gone their separate ways to hang out with other people. Isaac had wandered off to watch others play some drinking games. Meanwhile, Lexi sat on the living room couch off to the side of where everyone was dancing. She felt the couch vibrate thanks to the loud music coming from the speakers.

Before she could figure out her next move, Nikita sat down beside her with a tipsy grin. "Where's Isaac? Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah! He wanted to go watch the guys play drinking games, that's all," Lexi revealed. "Everything's good with us, I promise."

"Ahhh, that's where I was earlier," Nikita snickered. "Felipe's been organizing them all night, so I figured I'd get in on them for a while there."

"Fair enough. Is he still doing that?" Lexi asked.

Nikita nodded while tucking some black hair behind her ear. "Oh, I almost forgot to tell you what happened while I was over there! Some woman came over to Felipe and openly flirted with him right in front of me. I don't even think she realized that we were together."

Lexi's eyes widened. "How did he react?"

"He quickly turned her down without even hesitating. Once she left in a big huff, he was like, 'I don't care about any other woman, Nikita. I'll do anything to prove that to you.'"

"Wow. I'm glad to hear that he didn't reciprocate her flirting, don't get me wrong. But damn...that's a hell of a bold statement for him to make."

"No kidding! I was so shocked that he said that. It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what he even said. I couldn't help but kiss him."

Lexi found herself smirking. "Does that mean he's getting lucky later tonight?"

Nikita cackled. "We'll see about that. But I must admit that things are looking good for him...oh, and for me."

"True. I think Felipe will be loyal to you. He seems like he genuinely cares about you as more than a friend. I don't think he'd dare ruin whatever's going on between you two."

"It's funny you say that 'cause we don't refer to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend....and yet we're acting like we're in a real relationship."

"It's okay. When you two are ready to define it as something specific, you'll do it."

Nikita sipped her drink. "I'm not worried about it. He's been so good to me ever since we started dating that I believe he'll stay this way."

"I agree with that 100 percent," Lexi remarked.

Mariana suddenly appeared from the thick crowd of dancing students to sit on the arm of the couch. "You're not gonna believe it!"

"What?" Lexi asked despite already guessing the answer.

"Is everything alright?" Nikita asked obliviously.

Mariana's giddiness became more apparent. "DeShawn told me that he has feelings for me."

Lexi smiled wide while Nikita's jaw hung wide open.

"I know, I can't believe it either," Mariana added. She laughed a little in sheer disbelief.

"Judging from how happy you are, I'm assuming you feel the same way?" Nikita inquired.

Mariana nodded rapidly. "I couldn't bring myself to tell him 'cause I've been so chickenshit about doing so."

Nikita rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Wow, that's lame."

"You're one to talk, Miss I-Couldn't-Tell-Felipe-How-I-Feel," Lexi teased.