1

My dad always been the realist. I wouldn't trade him for nobody. He raised me. My momma died in the hospital when she had me. It's something that's been hard for me to deal with all my life. Knowing that parental figure will never be there. But like the real one my dad is, he took care of me. Him and my grandma was there for all the milestones... and the changes. I swear he my best friend. That man will look out for me when nobody else will.

I knew that for sure when I turned 15 and he took me back to school shopping.

"What about this?" He asked lifting up another girly shirt.

I shook me head.

"Come on Yas, you can't just wear Nike, Jordan, and Polo.. Nike, Jordan, and Polo.." he teased.

I sighed looking at the rack of shirts I hated in front of me.

He watched me. "You don't want to wear none of this shit do you?"

"No sir..."

He smiled a little "that's not a problem Yas... you just got to open your mouth and say something. We better then this... where you want to shop?"

Like I said my dad is my best friend... but we've never talked about this. I guess you could say I was a Tom boy. I usually had on athletic clothes, t shirt, basketball shorts, sweats.... like he said, Nike, Jordan, and polo.

"Come on, push the cart. Imma fall back" he said patting my back.

He followed as I led him out of the girls section and into the boys, to a hoodie I had my eyes on since we walked in.

From that day on, while I watched all the boys clothes ring up at the check out counter I knew I could really trust him, with anything.

I don't think it was a surprise at all when I came out to him on my 16th birthday.

He was letting me smoke a blunt with him for the first time out on the patio. I had a whole little coming out speech prepared, but then I started getting zooted.

We were out there laughing all his coworkers pulled up and we had a bbq. He told me I could've invited anybody and I had a few friends in mind but I decided not to. Parties with his work friends are my favorite, they're like family to me. I still remember all the times hanging out at his job as a kid with no babysitter. Plus I knew if I invited kids from my school he probably wouldn't let me smoke.

"I'd like to make a toast to the birthday girl!" His bestfriend Jared smirked holding up his beer.

"No, actually I want to make the toast." I said standing up blazed out of my mind.

"I want to thank all of you for being here. Y'all know you my family... even though Jared head big as fuck, and big Mike always eat all the ribs"

They all laughed.

"But on a serious note. You've all been there for me and my dad through so much.the only family I've ever known... I was gonna say this long ass speech, but I'm high as fuck"

They laughed

"So I'm just gonna say it... I'm gay"

They continued to laugh.

"You think we don't know?" My dad chuckled.

"Alright, alright, come on now. Y'all not about to do my lil niecey like that." Jared said putting his arm around my shoulder. "I'm proud of you for coming out"

"We're all proud of her for coming out" Lamar spoke up. "It's just funny that she thought she had to"

I'm not gonna lie it was funny. I felt like I did a good job at keeping my secret. I thought they just all thought of me as a tomboy, I didn't know they knew I like girls.