Chapter Three - Pt. Two

(1861 words)

When we reached the sand, we changed course for the hut. To my surprise, it looked like a normal day, besides the uniformed soldiers scattered amongst the crowd. Markoh was entertaining his patrons while making their drinks. He stopped and gained a brilliant smile when he saw us approaching. Garee ran ahead. I looked back to find Valin trudging close behind, staggering with each step in the sand.

"You should have brought sandals," I teased him. He scrunched his nose to acknowledge my joke at his expense.

Garee grabbed me a stood beside him at the end of the counter. I sat. Markoh greeted me with his gorgeous smile. "Hi, Keerah. It's been a while."

"It has."

I noted the soldiers sitting down the row, relaxing in the shade, sipping their drinks. Valin waved to them before nodding a neutral greeting to Markoh. He appraised Valin with a look of confusion.

"He's my babysitter," I answered Markoh's unspoken question.

"Ah." Markoh never said much about him, but he could get anyone talking. I was sure that was a trait of any good bartender. His skill baffled and amazed me, though only for brief moments before catching myself blabbing like he wanted. I figured he and Garee would hit it off, considering Garee could talk the rest of his life if given the chance. "I already know what Keerah wants. Is there something I can make you?" he asked Valin.

"No," he answered shortly. He rotated his stool to lean back against the counter. "I can't drink whilst watching my baby." I give him his signature nose scrunch.

Markoh looked at both of us and then grinned. He knew something I did not, but he would never tell me what that something was. "So this one watches you all the time?" he asked me, flipping bottles in the air and pouring them into my glass. "

"Yes. He and another soldier are staying in the house with us."

"Two?"

I nodded. "Yeah. If you think Valin is scary, you should see T. He's humongous." Valin snorted beside me.

"Bigger than me?" Markoh asked.

"Much bigger than you."

"That seems a little terrifying." He handed over my drink. I licked my lips.

"No, they're both very nice. I think we lucked out," I smiled at Valin. He glanced at me neutrally.

"So, Ramchel will let you live with Keer, but not me, huh?" Garee asked Valin. He returned his question with a cock of his eyebrow. "Talk about a catch. The way this woman cooks, I would marry her just to have her food every day." Valin laughed once, as if to agree. "Has she made you something yet?"

Valin let out a sigh. No answer followed. "I have," I answered instead. "I convinced my parents to let them eat with us."

He laughs. "Wow, you had to convince them not to let them starve? That's very on-brand for them."

"Right?"

He took a drink, using the time to check out Markoh from behind while he helped another customer. He swivels his stool to look at Valin again. "You lucked out, handsome. Good food and you get to stare at Keerah all you want."

"Don't start," I warned him.

"What? Do you think I'll embarrass you in front of your new friend? He hasn't found out the kittenishness you're hiding?" He looks at Valin. "Don't let the high-strung facade mislead you. This one is far from a proper politician."

"Is that so?" Valin leads him on, though he does not seem to care much.

I knew he was playing around, but Markoh and Valin did not. Garee's favorite pastime was making me blush—always trying to get me to drop my mask in front of people. He wrapped his arm around my waist. I stare him down. When he leaned in and pressed kisses against my cheek, I turned his head away and took a swig of my drink.