Chapter Seven - Pt. Two

(1875 words)

(1875 words)

After a long trek, we finally reached North beach, the most popular area I always tried to avoid. The water was shallow for a long way out, and separated from the deepest waters by the shattered plateau cliff, each colossal piece growing shorter and more weathered the further it reached into the depths. The last pieces looked like boulders in the distance, but as I knew, were just as tall as their topside counterparts, hiding most of their staggering height beneath the surface.

A benefit of the rocky formations was that they kept the visitor's ships away. The closest one loomed in the distance like a shadow, far enough away not to interfere with the beachgoers. The Starumites made up for the distance by existing in droves on the outskirts of the crowds, weapons and all.

Serah dropped her things and ran off toward the water. I walked behind my mother through the sea of sunbathers as we followed my sister. When we found what seemed to be a suitable spot, Mother ran off, holding her hat as she did. She and Serah splashed in the shallow waves as they rolled their foam onto the shore.

I removed my dress and laid in over their bags while they continued to play. I leaned up again, seeing the fun they had in water no higher than their ankles. How was I born to be such a paradox to my family? The crowds made me squirm, the noise made me want to run from it and dive into the ocean's depths. But there I was, stuck watching bags.

I looked over at Valin and caught him eyeing me up and down. He found my eyes and gave me a sheepish smile.

"What?" I jeered.

"Just appreciating the view," he joked back.

As if you didn't see more last night? I thought, showing it on my face. "Stop imagining me naked."

"Then stop making it so hard not to."

There was no winning with him. I watched his mouth twitch up into a teasing half-smile, and I caught myself thinking about what it felt like to have those lips against mine. I wanted to kiss him again, to touch him. The space between us could not lessen the intense pull I felt towards him. We stayed quiet, but in my mind echoed what he said last night.

I glanced down at my feet before looking back into his eyes. "Can we talk about what happened last night?"

"Are you expecting 'thank you' or 'you're welcome?'" he joked.

I felt guilty for laughing. "Valin, stop. I'm serious." I brushed my hair back over my ear and looked at him.

He looked at me, and his smile faded. "You want to know if I meant what I said."

I fidgeted when I saw his regretful expression again. "Yes." A part of me hoped he did not want to take it back.

He turned to look over the water and into the distance. "Yeah. I think I did," he said.