Chapter Eight

Mature Content/Trigger warning: Domestic violence. 

(1747 words)

I swam back alone. Valin suggested it would look less suspicious if we came back separately. He was right, so I waited on the rock for a few minutes before I headed back.

My pace was leisurely, being exhausted from my previous activities. I still had a clear conscience, but something was still nagging at my thoughts. Pressure built in my chest as I tried to identify what it was. I shook it off, spreading my limbs out, and let the waves wash me closer to shore.

I made it to shallow water and stood to walk. As I got closer, I could see Valin standing with my sister as he redressed and she packed up the bags, Serah laughing about something as they talked. My mother was in a conversation as well, but not with them. She was standing with a woman wearing as flamboyant a hat as her. A curl of light brown hair hung to her middle back. I knew exactly who it was before I ever saw her face.

I tried to avoid them on my way back to Serah and Valin, but my mother saw me. She waved, her companion turning to face me, giving me her radiant smile as I approached.

"Keerah," Chaize's mother greeted me. She leaned forward and pressed one kiss to my cheek. I returned it in kind. A formality.

"Mrs. Trellin," I smiled as politely as I could manage. Chaize's mother was quite beautiful—the whole family was. While Mr. Trellin had dark hair and skin the same shade as mine, Mrs. Trellin and their three boys all had the same light skin, hair, and freckles.

"It's so good to see you again, sweetheart," she cooed. "It's been too long. We all miss having you around."

Her words made my chest ache. Had I not shared my time with Valin right before, I may not have hidden my emotion as well as I was now. I gave her an awkward smile, unable to think of anything nice to say.

"Well, Sheenah, thank you again for everything," she said to my mother. Something about her tone made it seem like she meant more than she said. "When all this is over, I look forward to spending more time together."

They gripped each other's hands and shared a smile, then Mrs. Trellin took her leave.

"Thank you for not making that awkward, Keerah," my mother said once her companion was out of earshot. I was not sure whether she was being sarcastic. "I know you had your reasons to end things with her son, but it would be good of you to remember what their family still offers ours in this time of political unrest," she said in a warning tone. She leaned in close to me and whispered, "Especially today."

I gave her a confused look. She tapped a finger over her lips, signaling me to keep quiet. I did not know what she meant by that.

Valin and Serah joined us. His hair was still wet but fell into his face like it usually did. His eyes flickered to mine for just a second. "I think it is about time to head back," he said. It was early afternoon, but probably past lunchtime. Father would get testy if we made him miss a meal.

"Why don't we stay just a little longer?" my mother asked in a flirtatious tone.

"Tagrahinh should be up soon, he'll want us to be home."

"Another few minutes can't hurt, can it? I would be very thankful." She placed her hands against his chest and looked up at him.

She was trying to pull her charm on him—it may have worked better if he had not just finished laying her daughter. Now, it was just awkward.

He hid his grimace as much as possible. "Sorry, rules are rules. We need to get on."

She stepped away from him with a glare. "Fine. Let's go home then," she said with petulance before walking away.