Chapter Seven - Pt. Three

A/N: This one had much more dialogue but I felt it was superfluous. This chapter is short due to that, but it will be longer if I decide to add more of it back in... Let me know if it feels like it's missing something!

(862 words)

Valin slicked back his wet hair with a hand and stared into my eyes. The water darkened his lashes, making his eyes more intimidating than ever. His focused look made me nervous.

"My sister's name is Nia. She is about as opposite of Serah as possible. We argue—all the time—because she is as unbearable as me, but with nothing to lose. My parents have very important jobs, like yours, but rather than living on top of a mountain, we live at the top of two very tall buildings," he listed. My eyes widened, my head spinning while I tried to keep up. "I prefer nights over days because, at home, I can ride to the top of a bridge downtown and stare over the city. In the dark, all the buildings look the same. Like humans cared about one another at some point in history."

The picture his words made in my mind was nothing close to the truth, I was sure. Trying to visualize what he said was like reading a passage from my uncle's journals years before I could comprehend the very words he used. My lips twisted into a smile. I let him continue.

"I prefer rain to sun—it matches my mood better. My favorite color is light blue, like my eyes, which seems conceited but I swear it's unrelated. My favorite food is basically everything you've ever made me. And..." He chewed his lower lip, not wanting to finish. "I've never been in an official relationship or told someone I love them. Until now."

My brow tensed. "No one?" I asked in disbelief.

"No one," he repeated.

"How?"

He looked at the water like he was tracing his thoughts. "I've never felt this way about anyone," he said. "Out of all the things I've tried to avoid, escape, run from..." He looked into my eyes again. "You are the only thing I've ever felt the need to run to."

I was speechless.

My heart was beating so hard in my chest, I could hear my pulse in my ears. I wanted to tell him I felt the same, to let go of all my reservations and speak the words he spoke to me, but my calloused heart would not allow it. The last time I loved someone, I had my heart ripped from my chest when he ultimately betrayed me. I did not want to give myself the chance to be hurt again.

He tilted his head to grab my attention again. "Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know of another word to describe that."

I stared at him, my heart still pounding. "I don't think I do either."

He looked at me with the same regretful expression as last night. "I was lost in you and the words just came out. I can't take back what I said, and I don't want to, because it's how I feel. It scares the absolute shit out of me, but it's how I feel."

My eyes clouded with tears. I looked away and shook my head in frustration. "You don't have to say that just because I slept with you."

"And you didn't have to sleep with me just so you wouldn't have to say it." He stared me in the eyes, but I could hardly bear to look at him.

Forget falling. I had already done that. Valin had me completely smitten. My last shred of defense was to avoid admitting that I loved him, too.

I was afraid I would admit my feelings and suddenly he would turn into the same heartless version of a man that had harmed me before.

"Maybe I'm not in love with you yet," he said, "but I know I will be, if given the chance."

My heart fluttered, and just like that, I was back to the person I was last night—stupid, blind, careless. Content. With Valin, I was exactly who I wanted to be at that moment.

"Yeah," I agreed, just above a whisper. "Me too."

As we stared into each other's eyes, a wave splashed over our laps. When the water receded, I dropped my knees and leaned closer to him.

I wanted him to kiss me. I wanted the wordless connection we had last night. But he was hesitating, and I could not blame him. He stared at my lips, but made no move. I gathered my courage, leaned forward, and kissed him.

He tasted salty like the water, but as he kissed me back, he tasted more like himself. I enjoyed every second his mouth was on mine, loving the way everything else faded away to the comfort of his touch.

I pulled my lips from his. When I opened my eyes, I found a lazy half-smile on his beautiful lips, pale eyes heavy with adoration. I nibbled my lip, unsure of what to say to him. "So... What are we supposed to do now?" I asked him.

His smile evened out. He pulled me closer and kissed me. With an arm around my waist, he lifted me from my seat and laid me on my back beneath him. I laughed with delight until he kissed me again.