Chapter Ten - Pt. Two

(2456 words)

We reached the stairs nearest the market and I lost myself to my nerves. I stopped, blocking T's pathway. He placed a hand on my shoulder and leaned into my peripheral view, my eyes still fixed on the mingling crowd just below us.

I could not go to the market without seeing someone I knew. It was not a matter of if I would run into someone. It was when and who it would be. Right now, the list of people I would like to avoid was long. Former friends, family acquaintances, anyone privy to my parents' situation.

My hair stood on end when we reached the flat cobblestones of the market—an expansive area tucked in the mid-portion of the parallels near the northern end. White linen tents packed filled the area, selling fresh produce, meats, flowers, and other goods. It was usually lively, colorful. Storekeepers bartered with patrons, musicians played upbeat music for people to dance to, though few ever did. Nearby, I heard the angry noise of what appeared to be a protest of sorts. A small crowd yelled towards a line of unaffected Starumite soldiers. It put an uneasy edge on what would otherwise be a typical market day, though that was typical for most of life these days.

"Has that been going on for a while?" I asked T, gesturing to the protestors. He nodded to me with a rueful expression. Serah grabbed at the bags in my hand, but I did not let go. "Will you get everything you're supposed to? Not just the things you want?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yes! But I'm getting tuna."

"Get a small one, not a—" she snatched the bag and started trotting off, T following. "A small one, Serah!"

I kept Serah and T in sight, but I trust her to get what we need. She did so every week with our parents. Before my mind slips into darkness, I look toward Valin.

"Do you like tuna?" I ask him.

"Sure."

"Good, because we'll be having it the rest of the week."

He laughed. Looking in front of us, he nudged his head in that direction. "Isn't that your friend?"

My skin grew cold, but when I looked over, it warmed again. Garee.

I went over to him, leaning onto his counter until he finished with a customer. "Do you have any mangoes?" I asked.

"Yes, right—Keer!" he switched out of business mode the moment he registered it was me. He came over and pulled me close to kiss my cheek. I stopped him when I realized what would happen, but it was too late. "What the hell is this?"

"Nothing, Garee. Don't worry about it."

He glared in Valin's direction. His hand dropped from my cheek. I followed his path to the end of his display table and stopped him from doing what I knew he would do.

"Garee, don't," I put my hands against his chest, but he pushed me aside.

"Do you feel better about yourself now?" Garee taunted Valin. He stepped closer to him, staring him down. "Do you feel like a man now?"

"The fuck is your problem, mate?" Valin said back.

"You are my fucking problem."

I jumped in front of him again. "Garee, please. It wasn't him. It wasn't either of them." The dreadful feeling came flooding back, making me feel light-headed. Garee did not listen.

"You Starumites think you can get away with everything here. Forcing yourselves on us, bending us to your will. Do you think I'm going to let you get away with what you did to her?"