Chapter Five - Pt. One

I may need to add a chapter before this...

(1532 words)

A couple of days later, I was sitting on the sofa with my sister and T. We were helping her brush up on her math before she had to return to school the next week. I was still jealous, though I should not have been.

I sat behind T, redoing the braids on the side of his head. His hair had grown over the past few weeks, and the braids were looking ragged and growing in much darker than the vibrant red.

Serah and I were very comfortable with our two guests, probably too comfortable for my parents' taste, but Valin and T felt more like family to me than they did. T was the older brother I always wished I had—protective, caring, encouraging. He was so great with Serah, and it made it easier to accept that their stay would be longer than originally expected. Valin was my favorite. His honesty, support, even his sarcasm, was irreplaceable. I would trade my parents for them in a heartbeat.

"What's this one?" T asked Serah.

She sneered as she pondered the mathematical equation on the card in his hand. "X equals nine?" she asked.

"Yes! Great job!" he encouraged her. She looked thrilled. It made me smile.

T was a great tutor, and they both seemed to enjoy it. Serah giggled as he held up the next car.

I glimpsed someone approaching behind me. "Tell your father you want to visit Garee today," Valin whispered into my ear as he leaned over the arm of the chair behind me. I turned to ask him why but found him staring me down, willing me not to question it.

"Okay," I whispered back.

He walked away to stand near the door. I stared at my new friend, trying to figure out his motive. The hint of a smile in his eyes made me excited. I finished redoing the last of T's braids before slipping away.

I walked over to my father in his office. He seemed busy, scratching notes furiously at his desk. I placed my hand gently on his arm to draw his attention. "Father, would it be okay for me to visit Garee again today?" I held my breath, hoping he would comply.

He never looked up from his paperwork. "Why not?" He grumbled. Something upset him, but I was not sure what it was. Either I miffed him by serving the guests their breakfast before he awoke, or it was finding out how much he missed out on the proceedings at the Plateau.

I thought it best only to respond with, "Thank you," and left to find Valin who spotted me and approached T. They exchanged only a few words. He smiled at me and nudged his head toward to door. He slid it open for me and closed it behind us, then set off to wherever he planned to take me.

This time, I was the follower as we trotted down the steep stairs from my house. "Where are we going?" I asked, feeding off his excitement.

Valin did not dare to turn around while still on the steps, so he waited until we reached the parallel. He turned to face me as I finished my descent and said, "You showed me something amazing the other day, something you love. It took me a while to get things arranged, but I wanted to return the gesture."

His smile was so genuine it made my heart squeeze. I nodded, unable to speak past my surprise.

We walked together until we reached a group of three soldiers gathered in a clearing, having a laugh about something. Valin approached them and exchanged their odd wrist grabs with each one. "I need to take her to the other side of the island," he told them, sounding as if it was a chore I was making him do for me. "Think I could borrow a bike?"