Chapter Fourteen - Pt. Two

(2275 words)

(2275 words)

I woke up in the middle of the night. Serah was fast asleep, and I was careful not to rouse her as I left the bed. I walked over to my schoolbag on her shelf, found the lab kit, and took out the small strip that would tell me if my entire life had changed. I was anxious, my hands quivering as I held the sliver of paper between my fingers. You already know you're pregnant, I told myself. But part of me could not believe it until I had proof. I went into the bathroom and slid the door closed behind me.

With a small sample, I dippid the strip and laid it on the countertop. Trying to ignore it, I cleaned up, but even in my peripheral, the answer was clear. My body went numb, my mind soon followed. I could not fully comprehend what it meant until I could talk to Valin.

I left the bathroom, Serah's room, and heard voices before I had slid the door closed.

"We can't, T. Please, we can't," I heard Valin plead in his accent.

T was donning his weapons, including the largest one at his back. His bag was sitting at his feet. "This is what we have to do. We don't have a choice."

"There is always a choice. After everything we've done to keep them safe, why not this?"

T looked frustrated, rubbing the back of his neck and looking away from Valin. He spotted me. Valin looks over and his expression was dreadful. My skin went cold.

I took a few steps towards them. "What's going on?"

T gave me a guilty look. Valin looked close to tears. I have never seen him like this. He turns back to T, grabbing his arm. "Please, T, please. I beg of you."

T's expression changed from sad to resolute. "All right," he said. Valin looked relieved. He rushed to the front door, opening it, stepping outside, and closing it behind him. What was going on? "Keerah, go wake your family."

I felt it best not to protest, and went back into Serah's bedroom. I shook her gently until she stirred. "Come on. We have to get up," I told her. She looked confused, but she took my hands and let me pull her from the bed.

We walked out and tapped on our parents' door. When my father slid it open, he looked just as worried as I felt. "The boys said we needed to get up. I'm not sure why, but can you wake Mother?"

He shook off the last of his sleep and nodded.

After a few moments, Valin slipped back inside. He watched over his shoulder as the shadowy figures of the guards posted outside of our house walked away. Valin nodded at T.

"Family," T announced to everyone, "We need to move you."

Everyone, including myself, looked confused. "What is going on?" my father asked for us all. They had just gotten home, and now they wanted to move us again?