prologue

Winter was a time of affliction, an endeavor which didn't seem to spare any solace. The threats of starvation or the numbness of paws, it was a time feared by all the clans, even the one named after the loathsome season itself.

Though through all the agony, an almost tranquility followed. The gales which roamed through the bare trees was an almost comforting sting, or the warmth from loved ones which lingered as they curled up tightly to remain warm, a type of sentiment which seemed to only ever occur during the coldest season.

Zinniapool was tucked deep within the medicine cat den, the walls of the engraved cavern blocking out the relentless zephyrs. The only noise that could be heard was the distant whistling of wind and the gentlest of snores from her former mentor who lay in the nest beside her. Eventually, her thoughts were paused and she was lost to the night in a deep slumber.

However her mind was not paused for long. Instead, it was an almost transcendence to a realm of something preternatural. Zinniapool was soon on her paws, though she was not afraid. Her ancestors and their home held a distinct smell, one which drew comfort out of her, though the medicine cat was more than confused when she was greeted by no one but herself.

Before her very own nose stood herself, though within her own copper eyes was a look of complete horror. Zinniapool was completely still, analyzing the mirror image version of herself before she began circling it, trying to understand what she was seeing, or trying to understand the message she was being told.

She was afraid now.

Suddenly inaudible whispers began to hum within her ear, words she strained so desperately to hear.

Corruption.

Over and over, the singular word was beginning to grow louder and much angrier. Zinniapool could feel herself growing fragile as she slouched down to the ground, shutting her eyes as tightly as she could as she tucked her head within her paws, praying over and over for the screaming to end, until the only one left screaming was herself.

"Zinniapool!"

Cold.

She was cold again.

Zinniapool snapped open her eyes to frantically meet a concerned green stare, that of her previous mentor Eveningleaf. The two held each other in a silent stare, eyes completely locked in a frenzy of fear and confusion.

"Bad dream?" Eveningleaf finally spoke, the concern in her eyes bleeding into something much softer. Zinniapool shook her head, trying to form the thoughts stuck in her head into verbal words.

"I think I am," she paused quickly, "I think something really bad is going to happen to me, Eve." As she spoke, her words grew raspy and quiet as she looked at her shaking paws.

"Why do you say that?" Eveningleaf responded, her words much more calm than her quivering counterpart.

"I was in StarClan, and no one was there, just me, but there was another one..."

"Another what?"

"Me!" She bursted, widened copper eyes flashing back up to meet the other medicine cat's stare. "I looked so scared, so empty, and this voice kept screaming at me, I could feel the words, Eve, I could feel them throughout my entire body."

Eveningleaf was quiet, though her silence was louder than words. Was she mad? Was she scared of me? Did she think I was corrupted? The thoughts haunted Zinniapool's merciless mind, and she silently begged for the cat who had taught her all she knew to speak. Say something. Anything.

"Do you know why I chose you to be my apprentice?"

The question seemed to dim the relentless voices in Zinniapool's head as confusion set in.