chapter 2

Zinniapool asked questions. Many questions, ever since she could process her own cognitive thoughts. It was natural, but her curiosity outreached any of the other apprentices. Some of the questions couldn't be answered. Some things were just far too complex to be comprehended by a simple mind, as Eveningleaf would say.

She didn't believe anything about the mind was simple. She believed there was an answer to all questions, and she believed that she was capable of holding all that knowledge. She wanted it. Craved it.

Her whole life she felt isolated. Not in the sense of being alone, not at all. She was far from that. She had amazing friends and an amazing family. She felt isolated in a more sense of self, or identity. Something separated her from her clan, she just wasn't sure what.

Since the arrival of Genesis and his band of travelers, Zinniapool was nothing less than intrigued, yet she kept a cautionary distance. The clan seemed to divide between the four, some eager to learn more about their newfound allies while others remained weary and hostile. The medicine cat wasn't sure where she stood, but something about them offered her a sense of security and almost drowned out that feeling of isolation that had haunted her since she could first remember.

So days would pass. The apprentices would gather around Genesis every day, listening to the endless chain of stories the older tomcat had to tell, stories that he experienced. Things Zinniapool could only dream of. Eventually warriors began to join in and soon enough, even Lightstar was sitting there, his eyes bright with curiosity like a little kit.

It was beautiful, and although Zinniapool still hadn't grown the confidence to involve herself yet, she loved watching it all unfold.

Days continued to pass, and that morning Zinniapool could almost feel a pull in her stomach, as if some incorporeal being was pushing her. She stepped outside, a chilling zephyr pressing against her nose as the multitude of golden, red and brown leaves fluttered from the baring trees to cover the ground in a blanket of fall's welcoming.

Her copper eyes flickered to every barrier of her clan's camp, briefly studying everyone before her eyes settled on one particular feline; Eden. The calico was definitely the most unusual out of the four travelers, mainly secluding herself to empty parts of camp and steering clear of everyone else. Zinniapool found that she was observing her the most, almost becoming uncannily familiar with the mottled she-cat's mannerisms. It was strange, sure, but Zinniapool felt this need to know her or at least understand her.

The lilac tabby held her ground for a few fleeting moments, an unsure expression glazing her face as her eyes bore into the calico, however a feeling of pure panic struck her as Eden's amber eyes made direct contact with her own. The medicine cat felt her entire body heat up immediately out of embarrassment, subconsciously thankful for the relentless gales which began to pick up and cool her down. Another strain of leaves fell from the trees as the winds continued to grow in intensity, however the two she-cats never let their eyes wander off one another. It was a strange interaction, but Zinniapool finally just swallowed her fear and embarrassment. Eden already caught her staring, it's a little too late to back out now, so the medicine cat just feigned confidence and made her way over.

As she took her first step, Eden immediately broke her gaze away, amber eyes locking with her dainty paws. As the medicine cat approached her, she felt herself instantly flooded with foreign emotions, feelings which seemed to delve into the deepest parts of her, and nothing about them were minuscule.

She was confused, that was the best and most simplest way she could put it.

"Hey," the tabby started nervously, "I'm Zinniapool, we met when you first got here, attacking each other and all; what a warm welcome." She spoke awkwardly, immediately regretting that final sentence and silently scolding herself. She was sure it would've caused some form of hostility from the petite molly before her.