chapter 5

"I swear they only misbehave this badly at the worst times." Dandelionpath had murmured, ear flicking in embarrassment as she placed her paw on Shrewkit's tail to abruptly halt him in place after escaping Eveningleaf's grasp.

"It's alright, don't stress about it. Nothing could ever be worse than Sparrowpurr and Finchfeather when they were about this age, about prepared me for anything to come." Eveningleaf soothed while simultaneously giving Shrewkit his wellness check, the others waiting their turn much more patiently.

"She's not lying." Zinniapool laughed, Robinkit in her care as she did small tests, tests which the medicine cats would do every moon until the kits were apprenticed to make sure nothing was off.

Arumflame, a FallClan elder, occupied the two waiting their turn as they grew impatient, and Dandelionpath was relieved.

"Shrewkit seems to be doing fine, nothing alarming." Eveningleaf spoke, nudging the biggest of the litter to Arumflame who instantly pounced on an unsuspecting Rosekit.

"Robinkit as well." Zinniapool replied almost instantly, letting her eyes linger a little longer on the kit before she nudged him back to his siblings, remembering back to the night he was born and the montage of memories which followed. It made her feel warm, knowing she was somehow allowed the gift of knowledge into his future.

As he joined his siblings, she watched as Eveningleaf had to basically drag Poppykit away from Shrewkit, the two in a hasty little spar as Rosekit hissed from the sidelines, however Arumflame swatted her tail against the kitten mid-hiss to hush her.

"They say Eagle Tooth watches over misbehaving kittens, and comes for them in the night when they refuse to act right." Arumflame spoke quietly, briefly quieting the kits as Zinniapool motioned Rosekit for her turn.

"Eagle Tooth is not real, he's made up to scare us." Shrewkit retorted, Rosekit nodding in agreement as she absentmindedly did what Zinniapool asked her to.

"Who?" Poppykit questioned, twisting around to face his siblings and Arumflame before Eveningleaf scolded him for moving too much.

"You don't know who Eagle Tooth is?" Rosekit teased, Poppykit only rolling his eyes in response to her snark.

"They say he is the largest cat to roam the forest, much bigger than you and I." Arumflame spoke rather eerily, which worked in keeping the kits quiet.

"Even bigger than Dimglow?" Robinkit questioned, genuinely, as his eyes rounded in wonder.

"Even bigger than Dimglow." The elder answered, leaving the kits to gasp with one another and giggle amongst themselves.

"Why's he called Eagle Tooth then? If he's not an eagle, you know." Poppykit queried, tail curling around his paws.

"Oh I know the answer!" Shrewkit beamed as he jumped on the tips of his paws, looking from Arumflame towards his brother. "It's because he killed an eagle, clawed out his tooth and wore it around his neck as a prize!"

"I don't believe it." Poppykit spoke, his eyes glistening with feigned boredom.

"Eveningleaf, Zinniapool, have either of you seen Eagle Tooth?" Robinkit asked, voice gentler than those of his excitable siblings.

Zinniapool briefly shared eye contact with her former mentor, not wanting to speak until she did.

"Yes, I have seen Eagle Tooth before. He is very real, and very scary." Eveningleaf spoke, her voice quiet and eyes concentrated as she made Poppykit stick out his tongue and hum.

"Zinniapool?" Rosekit questioned, tilting her head nearly as if she was challenging her brief caretaker as she prompted the medicine cat to answer. StarClan these kits are such little nuisances.