chapter 9

Something pacific settled over Zinniapool as she stayed tucked in her corner of the medicine cat den, denying Robinpaw or anyone the right to enter. Not that anyone really wanted to be around her. She could hear them talking about her, saying she'd gone crazy. Muttering something about being indoctrinated. If only they knew how dense they sounded.

She could think clearer now, and she knew with everything she had in her that she wasn't crazy. She knew what she saw. Genesis saw it too, but he was gone. This was something she was going to have to face alone, and fix alone. She was on her own.

She was okay with that now. Or maybe she really was losing her mind because she felt unequivocally at peace as opposed to her outburst earlier in the morning. A calm before a storm, she supposed. Despite her serene composure, something deep within her core was telling her that something dire was bubbling in the ensuing events that were about to take place.

Zinniapool eyed Dimglow from where she lay, not moving an inch as she let one paw drape over the other, her ears pointed and face absolutely void of any ardor. Her eyes slitted ever-so-slightly. She debated momentarily, wondering if she should pray to StarClan for help in doing whatever it was she was about to do, but that felt futile. StarClan had abandoned her, that much was clear.

Finally, Dimglow was leaving. She was growing impatient with waiting, so maybe the universe was finally granting her some luck. The medicine cat stood to her paws which no longer shook as she peaked outside the den, eyes first landing on Robinpaw who was sat with his siblings. The world better be kinder to him, she thought before her eyes then drifted to Elysianlily who was secluded in a small part of camp with both her parents and brother. The four of them were talking about Zinniapool, she was sure of it. Everyone else was. But that's okay.

The medicine closed her eyes, taking in the scents of the medicine cat den, the aromas of all the herbs dancing around her nose pleasantly. She wasn't sure if this was all just a moment of clarity for her or she was delirious. Maybe the latter.

Zinniapool opened her eyes and allowed one shaky breath before she slipped out of an exit in her den to exclude any kind of attention to herself as she tasted the air, immediately finding the deputy's scent and following it.

She followed him for awhile, watching as he deftly weaved through the undergrowth, nearly weightless. Eventually he paused by the gully and she followed his gaze which outstretched over the turbulent crash of waves below. FallClan was beautiful, she supposed even ignoble cats could relish in it too.

"It's rude to stare." He finally spoke out into the abyss, his voice echoing against the other side of the pass. The medicine cat remained quiet for a moment, going over her options until she revealed herself.

"Seems trivial in comparison to your transgressions." She answered vapidly, head lightly tilting to the side. Dimglow met her gaze, something unreadable painting his face. Complacency maybe?

"I don't know what you were expecting, Zinniapool. You do fascinate me, however. I thought those travelers truly were full of it, but I'll admit I wrong. And you were right. I can only imagine how frustrating that is for you."

"Extremely." She answered, hesitation lacing her voice. She wasn't expecting this conversation, but it was elucidating to know she wasn't wrong about him. But he wasn't wrong, it was more than frustrating.

Her clan was never going to believe her, and they both knew it.

"So what are you going to do about it?" He asked, his words taunting and venomous, hiding behind his cultivated bearing. She stared at him, eyes wandering from the deputy to the deep incline of the gorge, deputy, deep incline, deputy, deep incline.