chapter 1

"So he's a little shy, he still shows so much potential regardless. You know they always say hard work beats talent, and he has the work ethic that Copperpaw just doesn't have. Otterfur can go ahead and wipe that smug look off her face if she thinks her apprentice is so much better than mine, hiding behind her forced humbleness. What-ev-er, I can see right though her."

It a was typical occurrence from Sparrowpurr, to rant and whine about every little inconvenience. The russet molly was truly convinced the world was out to get her, but Zinniapool had a feeling it stemmed from voices of insecurity. Her best friend could hide behind her own feigned confidence all she liked, but in reality— or as Sparrowpurr liked to say— Zinniapool could actually see right through her.

"You know, maybe your obsession with being right all the time will rub off on Creekpaw. They do say personality can be adapted, and wouldn't we love to have another know-it-all sauntering through camp." Lilacpetal spoke, however his voice held a type of lightheartedness that stemmed from his gentle humor, however Sparrowpurr didn't seem too amused.

"Oh shut it, you're only jealous that I got an apprentice within my first moon of being a warrior and you didn't."

"Maybe because Lightstar didn't wanna deal with your complaints because StarClan forbid anyone is more qualified than you." Zinniapool chimed in, eyes shining feverishly in the midday sunlight.

It was an interesting dynamic, the trio between them. If Zinniapool believed in past lives, she'd assume Lilacpetal was probably some ruler that lived to be as old as dirt and had ridiculous amounts of wisdom that still shine through into his present life. Sparrowpurr on the other paw was probably a finch, because those birds truly have nothing but the audacity. They were all born around the same time and grew up in the nursery together, getting into all kinds of trouble- well, more like Sparrowpurr getting into trouble and Lilacpetal and Zinniapool having to get her out of it.

But aside from the banter and arguments that usually lack any substantiality, the three were extremely close and maybe borderline codependent.

"I mean, be honest with me, and really honest. Who has better technique? Creekpaw does, no questions asked! Copperpaw does this weird thing with his tail that would alert a mole of his presence. A mole! He's a mouse-brain."

"You do realize they are my little brothers, right? And you do realize you just called my brother a mouse-brain, right?" Lilacpetal deadpanned, and the momentary horror which flickered over the russet she-cat's face would've almost been funny until her regret quickly faded with contempt.

"Have you even said more than three words to them? The brotherly love is strong, Petal." Sparrowpurr grinned, playfully cuffing her paw over his ears in which he annoyingly batted away with a muffled shut up.

However before Lilacpetal could send another fiery retort in counter, an immediate alarm was sent off within the trio as they paused, all three consuming the new and foreign scents which danced at their noses.

"That's new." Zinniapool mewed, eyes flickering nervously towards Sparrowpurr, almost instinctively. Despite her russet friend's many flaws, the medicine cat always felt a sense of protection around her, like she was safe whenever she was with her.

"SummerClan?" Lilacpetal queried, however Zinniapool naturally shook her head in response.

"You've never even been to the border, how would you know it's not SummerClan?" Sparrowpurr retorted, however Zinniapool just looked at her, and for a moment she was offended but she soon realized that it was true, she had no idea what SummerClan's scent was. All she knew was that this wasn't it.

"Hush." Lilacpetal scolded before a look of concern crossed his face, the intruding smell growing immensely in just a few fleeting moments. Zinniapool could feel her heart drumming against her chest, trying to remmeber the few battle moves Eveningleaf had taught her as a standard precaution in case she was ever in a situation like this, however she seemed to be completely at a loss. Should've probably paid attention during those lessons, she silently scolded herself.