chapter 7

Zinniapool didn't want to live her life in fear. She didn't understand anything, despite learning more everyday. She had always been someone full of life, that's how she was described when her mother would excitably talk about her to her friends. She liked that others perceived her that way. She held identity in her connection to everything around her.

The initial sixth sense she always had that others lacked never made her feel outcasted, until she was given those dire messages from Ravenrose during her sleep. Genesis was able to console her, but nothing could've prepared her for what she saw with Dimglow.

Days had passed and she had stuck by Eveningleaf's side, finding comfort in her mentor, but also someone she felt the most connected to. It was as if she had a mentor, friend and mother all in one, not that she was in need of any of those, but it was nice nonetheless.

Today felt different. Birdsong had gently rose her from sleep but the morning sunlight was blocked by a face nudged into her own, wide amber eyes staring widely into her own.

"Elysianlily, get out of my face." The medicine cat grumbled, rolling to her side to put distance between her and her sister. To no avail, she was quickly learning. Elysianlily leaped over her sister, tail swatting her shoulder as she did so.

"Come on! You've been hiding away like a cicada for days. I'm bored." The multicolored feline exclaimed, flopping down to her side to be at a more even length with her sibling.

"She's right, you're fossilizing before my very eyes." A very distinct voice chimed in much more smugly; Sparrowpurr.

"Let's go for a walk, Lilacpetal is waiting outside the den. We can get you new bedding as well, your nest smells." Elysianlily added, which resulted in the medicine cat giving her an annoyed scoff before finally pulling herself up.

"It's a StarClan miracle." Sparrowpurr teased.

"Watch it." The tabby hissed, however her friend only laughed in response, nudging her shoulder before leading the trio outside where they were met with Lilacpetal.

"The bear is out of hibernation!" He mused, however Zinniapool didn't find him funny.

"And this bear is about to make sure none of you see the light of another day."

"So grumpy, and you're always getting onto me for being so serious." Her sister commented, lightheartedly, so she didn't respond as she followed the group outside, very reluctantly.

Zinniapool was attentive at first, watching Sparrowpurr and Lilacpetal bicker back and fourth about some argument they had as kits as Elysianlily laughed, the two trying to make her pick a side in the matter but the calico stayed neutral. The bickering turned physical as Lilacpetal gently bit his friend's ear, the large russet she-cat retaliating by pinning him down and the two just kept rolling around clumsily, matting their fur in the process.

"How mature." Elysianlily purred, looking back to her sister to see if she was finding any entertainment, but she held no reaction.

Lilacpetal finally surrendered which resulted in Sparrowpurr purring proudly, her tail swaying back and fourth as she took lead of the four friends.

Zinniapool didn't say much, she didn't have it in her, and it seemed as though her friends and sister finally got the picture as they just decided to talk amongst themselves, occasionally looking back to make sure she was still following.

She listened to their conversations for a little while but eventually drowned them out, instead focusing on the wind swaying against bare trees and the sound of very faint foliage rustle. Birds flew overhead, a mated pair, who seemed to dance in the sky. It was a freedom she seemed to yearn for these days.