chapter 8

A lot can happen in four moons. It doesn't feel that long when you live through it, but looking back, it feels like it could've been a lifetime.

Zinniapool struggled losing Eveningleaf, there were days she wasn't sure she'd be able to even reach peace. She never felt inferior as a medicine cat, she'd always been good at it, but suddenly being the only one in her position placed a foreign anxiety on her. She had no one to turn to. It all fell into her paws.

Within those four moons, she received Robinpaw as an apprentice. It was expected, but she pretended to be surprised.

Genesis was helpful. He guided her through her grief, gave her hope when she felt there was none left. He also aided in teaching her how to control her newfound gift, which she was learning wasn't all that scary. He was right. He always seemed to be.

Eden was opening up more, too. The calico had this whole other side to her. Zinniapool was more than grateful that she was allowed to see the walls slowly come down. She was sure her calico counterpart was eased to know there were more like her.

FallClan cats were returning from some huge hunting expedition. They had left days ago, and things had been quiet in their absence, but from the commotion outside, the medicine cat figured they were home.

"Come on, Robinpaw." She murmured, nosing the little apprentice out of their den as she looked up to get a better look.

"They're back! They're back!" Rosepaw squealed, her lively eyes shining as warriors peaked their heads outside their den, Lightstar and Sootflower coming out of their own cavern to greet the returning hunters.

The hunting party seemed to be a success with huge nature-crafted casing piling out with prey, tired yet triumphant looks on their faces.

"Dimglow, you never disappoint." Lightstar purred, meeting up with his deputy who was also the head of the hunter's party.

Zinniapool scoffed.

Robinpaw gave her a weird look.

The medicine cat nosed through her clanmates before her eyes locked on a nasty bite on Sparrowpurr's shoulder, one which seemed to be infected. If it was causing the headstrong warrior any pain, she surely wasn't showing it.

"What happened?"

"Rat attack. Nasty little things, but don't worry, they got the worst of it." Sparrowpurr boasted, pushing her shoulder down as if she was trying to show it off.

"Come with me, you're going to get sick."

Luckily the russet warrior didn't argue against her, so Zinniapool led her inside the medicine cat den as she grabbed some marigold before nosing around for another herb which she was beginning to worry she didn't have.

"Looking for this?" Robinpaw queried as he pushed some burdock roots towards her.

"You are a life saver, yes, thank you. Clean them off and-"

"Chew them into a pulp. I know." Robinpaw answered, smiling softly as he did what was asked of him.

"It's been well past six moons and those freeloaders are still here. They don't even do anything but tell made up stories to the clan. I never took Lightstar to be gullible but I'm starting to think he is." Sparrowpurr ranted tactlessly, not seeming to notice the uncomfortable shift in the air. "Are they ever going to leave?"

Zinniapool froze momentarily, quickly reminding herself to remain calm as she gave her friend a discouraging stare and grabbed the chewed up roots and motioned for the russet she-cat to eat them.

"Why do you think that?"

"Dimglow had just mentioned it on patrol, and he made so many valid points. But even before that, I never wanted them here. I mean really, have they done anything useful for us? They don't hunt, they don't patrol, they just... talk." Sparrowpurr rambled while simultaneously grimacing from the taste of the pulp.