chapter 6

Spirits were high with the cats of FallClan as Lightstar had named his own two sons in becoming warriors, their titles as followed being Creeksong and Copperpelt. The two had gone off for vigil and everywhere excitement followed, especially from Sparrowpurr to have her first apprentice reach the end of their training.

Zinniapool was proud of her friend, even if the two hadn't been as close the past few moons, she was still cheering her on in silence.

Her life had weirdly changed, and whether that change was good or bad, she wasn't entirely sure. It freaked her out a bit, as if she was becoming more aware of the world around her. Genesis and the others helped, even though she couldn't help but share Dimglow's same suspicion.

Gentle rainfall fell from the dusk sky, a dark blue cascade of stormy clouds streaked across the sky. She could faintly hear the drops splash from leaf to leaf, in sync with her steps as the rain fell freely from her whiskers.

A shy breeze pressed against her tabby fur and she allowed her eyes to close, inhaling all the scents around her. She was consumed with a sense of tranquility, as if the forest was her protector. The lithe she-cat dug her claws into the bark of one of the trees, getting to a height where she could see farther beyond, her eyes narrowing in on the skyline where she could faintly see a figure in the distance. She squinted, but to no avail. All she saw was a silhouette.

Jumping from branch to branch, claws digging into the bark to secure herself before hurling herself onto another with her hindquarters, slowly catching up with the stranger in the beyond, trying to ignore the rain falling into her eyes as the sky swiftly darkened.

With each approaching leap, Zinniapool felt herself grow more wary. She wasn't sure if it was because she was on her own approaching StarClan knows who, or if it was something else, and yet she found herself still moving towards it.

Them.

Screams. She could hear screams, however they were so quiet. So faint. She didn't know if she was freaking herself out. Maybe it was all in her head.

Flashes.

Claws. Teeth. Pain. Betrayal.

"Division within the clan."

Whispers erupted, getting louder as the flashes continued to erupt within her brain, each more graphic than the one before it.

Another image crossed her mind; brown tabby paws, feline flesh between their claws matted with blood.

Then dim yellow eyes, slanted in a way the medicine cat was unable to understand. An emotion which left her sick, and within the fiery eyes of the yellow-gazed feline were the reflections of her own clanmates fighting one another.

Killing one another.

"You were weak, Lightstar. Always depended on me to do everything for you."

Zinniapool's ears pinned at this whisper, as if the words were being spoken into her ear were from her own inner voice. It was a sensation she couldn't explain.

The rain fell harder, lightning streaked across the sky, however she wasn't sure if it was real or not.

"Tyranny."

"That's what it is called."

"You really expected everyone to betray their leader and submit to you?"

"You've created a war between your own clan."

"They are all dead."

They are all dead.