🧶Smitten, mitten, my little kitten

Genre - fluff

Warnings - none

Words - 13K+

Original by - MauveTarte

---

It's a bit of a strange routine.

In the entrance of her family's apartment, Jennie zips herself up with her puffy, black winter coat, which does nothing for her but keeps her pleasantly warm. She wraps a large maroon scarf around her neck and tucks her hands into matching mittens. Both the scarf and mittens were knitted together by her aunt and a little distressed from frequent wear.

Jennie shouts her goodbyes to her family over her shoulder as she leaves, making sure to lock the door behind her. The usual blast of cold smacks her in the face when she exits her apartment building, but she persists to where she usually locks up her bike. She only pauses her fiddling when she hears the door behind her squeak open again.

"Morning,"

It's a steady voice, slightly raspy from lack of use yet loud enough for Jennie to hear from a few feet away.

"Good morning," Jennie replies back, turning her head to politely nod back. Chaeyoung, with her stylist navy peacoat and brown leather school bag in hand, bows her head, looking over Jennie for a few short moments before she casually turns and continues on her way. Jennie focuses back on her bike and attempts to unlock the chain. She fails twice before it clicks free.

She finally gets on the bike and bikes with leisure, the route to school familiar and quick. She pedals by a walking Chaeyoung in no time, who watches Jennie as she rings her bell in their ritual second greeting.

Jennie wonders if she's imagining the burning sensation drilling into her back while she swerves onto a different street.

❆❅❆

Park Chaeyoung is the stereotypical wonder girl of the high school she and Jennie attend. It's not exactly what you'd expect from a girl who skipped two grades in elementary, but Chaeyoung shuts down all her nay-sayers with her persisting intellect and athletic prowess that has sporting clubs lusting after her.

Puberty, though, chose to hit Chaeyoung particularly hard right before high school too. There was some bitterness about Chaeyoung's newfound height and girlish-yet-boyish good looks only adding onto the arsenal of all things golden and perfect about her.

Jennie, on the other hand, is your classic flat character on the sidelines of this b-rated high school film. She's got a rowdy bunch of family members, a small group of friends, slightly above average grades only because she studies her ass off, and she happily takes part in the go-home club.

Besides their little greetings in the mornings, Chaeyoung and Jennie don't acknowledge each other much, never having a class together in the past. They don't wave when they pass each other in the hallways or even nod when they accidentally catch each other's gaze. Jennie isn't even sure how they ended up the way they did, but she doesn't mind it much. Harmless, really.

"Ohhh," Jisoo coos from in front of Jennie, eyes wide on the window next to their desks, "Looks like someone's getting another confession,"

Jennie sighs, her whole chest heaving with the exertion, "Do you want to copy my homework in time or not?" Jisoo straightens up immediately with her guilty eyes darting between the papers on Jennie's desk and the view beyond the window. Her hand scribbles something, though Jennie isn't sure that the teacher reviewing it will be able to make sense of it. Jennie crosses her arms and leans back in her seat. Curiosity quickly gets the best of her too and slowly switches her gaze to witness the scene below.