1| Never

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Never

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 1: Never (Amelia's POV)

I sat on the couch in his living room, scrolling through tomorrow's schedule, waiting for him to call me. Isn't that what I'm here for? To be at his beck and call. 

"Amelia!"

I put my phone away. "Coming!" I stood up, taking a deep breath as I stood, fixing my dress. I put on a small smile and walked upstairs, pushing his door open. 

He stood in front of the mirror, the tie merely looped around his neck, still open. "Tie it for me, will you?" 

"Sure." I put my phone on the dresser and walked over. I grabbed the tie and waited for him to bend a little at his knees. He's too tall, even though I'm wearing heels. The heels may not be six inches, but they're enough to pull up my five-foot-four height to a five-seven. 

And Michael's still out of my grasp. He stepped closer and reached his foot under the small love seat at the foot of his bed, taking out a stool. I stared at it and then looked up at him. "I bought it. It's tiring bending for you." 

I stepped up on it while holding his gaze. "It's unnecessary. You should return it." 

"Fine," he mumbled. I felt his eyes on me while I worked on the tie, making sure it wasn't too tight or too loose. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed and I met his eyes just for a minute. "Brief me about tonight," he demanded. 

"Your uncle's the host, of course. He's made a deal with a publishing house, he's making a new building for them where their old one used to be. Moonlight Publishers. The old building had a lot of famous artwork hanging around which is being auctioned tonight with a few other paintings that the hotel where the party is tonight has bought. The party is starting at eight, if we leave now we'll be there by eight-thirty, and it ends at midnight." 

"Important guests?" 

"I asked your uncle for the guest list but he refused to give it to me. He said he'd introduce you to all the guests on your own. There's only one person you need to know," I sighed, taking a step back as I finished his tie. 

"Which is?" 

"Kady Gibbson. Her parents are your uncle's clients, she's your age, and your uncle wants you to meet her." 

He stared at me and then paused. "No." 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"I mean what you think I mean," he said pointedly and then put his jacket on. "Let's go." His arm brushed against mine as he walked out. 

I don't know what I mean, even if I should. Sometimes I don't even understand how I wound up here working for Michael Woods. The same Michael Woods I grew to hate in the last six years. The same Michael Woods that broke my heart. And I can't believe I'm here with him. Again. 

"Hello, hello, hello," I sang, dropping on the couch beside Cameron. 

"Hello, hello, hello, sister," she mocked, smiling at me.