2| History

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

History

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 2: History (Michael's POV)

As the guests who my uncle wanted me to meet walked over, I put an arm around Amelia's waist and held her closer. It felt strange but familiar. Of course, it felt familiar. 

She stiffened beside me and tried pulling away but I pulled her in even closer. "Michael!" she hissed in a whisper. "If someone we know in the press or hockey-related is here, we could get in serious trouble." 

"For what? Taking my assistant to be my date for a social gathering? That's allowed," I shrugged, turning to look at her. 

"That's allowed but this is different." She tried pulling my hand off. 

"Why is it different?" 

Her eyes met mine and she stopped struggling. "Because we go beyond boss and assistant," she mumbled, holding my gaze. 

"Michael, this..." We both turned forward where uncle Mason stood with a couple and their daughter, who seemed to be around my age. Immediately, all their eyes went to my arm around Amelia's waist. 

This has become part of her job over the years. At every social gathering when my uncle or anybody wants to introduce me to some girl because we'd 'look good together' or 'the public will love us together' I bring Amelia in as a date. She's often my date to events anyway, that's just how it works. When you have a pretty assistant, she doubles as a date. 

Uncle Mason looked at me before shaking his head softly. "This is Michael, my nephew. Michael, this is Mr. and Mrs. Gibbson and their daughter, Kady." 

I briefly shook their hands. "This is Amelia, she's with me," I explained.

"I'm his—" 

"Date," I cut her off, turning to look at her. "Aren't you, babe?" 

She stared at me and took in a shaky breath, turning to the guests and muttering, "Sure." 

"Please excuse us," Mrs. Gibbson said with a forced smile before their family walked away. 

Amelia instantly threw my hand off and I sighed, glancing at her before turning to my uncle. "What... what the hell are you doing?" 

"Avoiding the dates you bring for me," I answered bluntly, "how many times have I told you to stay out of my personal life?" 

"I'm worried about you, Michael. I haven't seen you with a girl on your arm that isn't Amelia since you two—" 

My jaw clenched and he took the hint, cutting himself short. 

"Excuse me," Amelia mumbled softly, "I need a drink." She walked away, throwing her hair over her shoulders. 

I looked back at my uncle. "Why would you say that?" 

"It's true, isn't it? You haven't dated a girl since you both broke up. You made her your assistant, which I can't wrap my head around, why would you do that?"