ch 8

Liam Moonhovan

Alexis piped up from the backseat, "Papa!" 

"What is is love?" I inquired, my gaze drawn to her in the rearview mirror. She'd been unusually quiet since I picked her up. At first, I figured it was because she'd been playing all day, but the way she anxiously fiddled with her fingers while gazing at the back of the seat in front of her indicated otherwise.

"Why can't girls play rough and cut their hair short?" She inquired, softly. We came to a stop at a red light, and I turned to face her, noting her sadness. 

"Who said they couldn't?"  I inquired, concerned, knowing the answer. 

She murmured, "James' mom. I told her I wanted to cut my hair like Will, but she said only boys had short hair, and she wouldn't let me play wrestle with them." As she talked, her little frown became even more pronounced. Infuriated, I tighten my grip on the steering wheel.

"Well that's a load of cra-" I cleared my thought "That isn't the truth. You have complete freedom to do whatever you want. If you want to play wrestling, go ahead and do it. Don't let what others say affect you; else, you'll never be happy." I sighed  "I can also take you to have your hair trimmed tomorrow if you really want it that bad." 

She glanced up, her gloomy demeanor totally flipping, as I responded smiling. "Really?" Leaning forward, she inquired. 

"Yeah, of course. Well I'll have to call my barber and make sure he's available tomorrow" I smiled.

As she started to return to normal, the rest of the journey home was filled with eager conversation about her day. She called Zach and Zariah as soon as we arrived, enthusiastically telling them about her playdate and upcoming haircut. 

I think it was because she was a girl too I think hearing Zaria's excitement for her seemed helped a lot more. Zach on the other hand just tried to peruse her to get the same cut as him. Soon after, it was time for her to go to bed, so I tucked her in and kissed her goodnight before heading to my room.

I looked at the pile of wet clothes I'd put away earlier and reached for Enzo's now-dry jacket. I was planning to clean it and return it to him when something slipped out of one of the concealed compartments on the inside. I took the white card and examined it.

It was his ID.I couldn't help but laugh at the photo, which was definitely taken years ago because his hair was considerably shorter, he was much smaller, had less muscle, and he had no piercings. 

I read "Enzo Toun." I was positive he didn't tell me his last name but it seemed so familiar. I couldn't pinpoint where I heard it, but it wasn't anything I wanted to focus on. I placed the jacket into the hamper with the rest of my clothes and fell asleep on the bed. It had been a long and tiring day and quite exhausting day.

.

.

.

"Can I have the syrup, Papa?" Alexis asked leaning over the table. When I heard a car pull into the driveway, I stood up and handed her the bottle. 

Normally, if it was Zach or Zaria, I would just go cook more pancakes, but with both of them out of the country, my stomach dropped. 

"Finish your breakfast so we don't miss your appointment," I urged as I walked to the front door and she started devouring her pancakes. I exhaled as I saw the familiar black automobile pull up as I stepped out on the porch steps, to meet Enzo. 

"What are you doing here?" I inquired, my gaze fixed on him.

"I just thought I'd drop by, and also you left your laptop in my car" He said leaning against the porch's wood railing.